advertisement

Ribbon tweeters, the answer to stridency?

I don't like tone controls, can't be bothered changing them for different tracks/lps.
You wouldn't be changing a fixed resistor for different tracks/lps, so why would you need to change the tone controls for different tracks/lps? If the source of the tweeter's 'stridency' is excess amplitude, then a tone control is probably the easiest electrical solution here if you are otherwise happy with your speakers and aren't keen on fitting a resistor or l-pad internally on the tweeter. If the tone control's operating range matches the tweeter's 'strident' range then this solution could work very well indeed.

... a tone control is probably the easiest electrical solution here if you are otherwise happy with your speakers and aren't keen on fitting a resistor or l-pad internally on the tweeter. If the tone control's operating range matches the tweeter's 'strident' range then this solution could work very well indeed.
Most tone controls don't, to reduce the 5kHz area a little, you end up wiping out anything above 10kHz
You need some sort of shelf control. A resistor in series with the tweeter gives a shelf effect.

Most tone controls don't, to reduce the 5kHz area a little, you end up wiping out anything above 10kHz
You need some sort of shelf control. A resistor in series with the tweeter gives a shelf effect.
I've been researching this recently and an l-pad is often recommended over a series resistor as it results in a more linear/predictable attenuation.

I think that Frankiesays should try a Quad 34 preamp. I think the amp is subdued at the extremes of treble anyway, and it has some pretty clever tone controls - bass lift and other filtres - which may just help.

And it so happens I have two good examples for sale right now . . .

These are the speakers I use:

http://pointillistic.com/vmps-audio/RM30.htm

No longer made though.

The mid to high crossover is 6.9kHz.

I've never noticed the highs to be strident, even without the copious room treatment I have. In fact I've had to work hard with placement and room treatment to get things as I like them.

I should say that I'm 65 and can't hear above 10Khz. Is it possible that it is your ears that are the problem? Have your current speakers always been 'slightly strident'? I sometimes find brass instruments to be a bit harsh, including live.

I have a pair of vintage Decca Kelly DK30 ribbon horns, which are truly superb things. I will eventually get the crossover sorted to use them as exceptionally subtle super-tweeters with my Tannoys...

From my experience you could be looking at the wrong end of the stick here. It sounds to me as if you are listening to a glary and slightly obvious treble which is typical of earlier digital players.

The Ruarks are just doing a good job of conveying the fact. The Talismans, Sabres etc I’ve heard all sounded quite refined to me.

I can’t say the same of Pioneer cdps of earlier generations. Try something like an up sampling 24 bit 192khz player like the Arcam CD 192 which has a sweet and sophisticated top end that will match the quality of your Talismans.

Last edited:
my ascend acoustics sierra2 speakers use raal 'true ribbon' tweeters...the most gorgeous sweetest highs i've listened to...so sweet that i no longer have sugar in my tea! only negative is the vertical dispersion is a trifle limited but listening seated as i do there are no issues.

I still don't think the op's problem is the speakers. He listens a lot to cd on an older Pioneer player which from my experience don't have a rolled off or a particularly sweet top end.

A Marantz 52se or something might be a better compromise or one of the more recent higher res machines will give less strident results, especially on jazz.

Pioneer Elite CDP with the special platter does have somewhat of a strident treble. I owned it in the 90s and used it as a transport with an early tube DAC. I did not like it very much on its own. Beautiful machine, though.

...The Ruarks are just doing a good job of conveying the fact. The Talismans, Sabres etc I’ve heard all sounded quite refined to me.
The OPs Ruarks have a reputation for being brighter in balance than the typical Ruark sound

Frankie, you need to post your locale and go have a day with some local bores while they still exist. Take some tunes you like and try to get out alive. Bake-offs sound a great idea, but in reality too many people are trying to do too much, but they are very sociable and you always see/hear something interesting. Even if someone just plugs a different amp and cables in your speakers, you will see some effect.

Modern compressed music recordings and minimal houses, really highlights annoying areas like treble, fat bass and over-level.

Do ribbons render the music with greater veracity?
They have their own problems, dispersion being one, fragility another. Personally I prefer them to domes, at least the domes I can afford, but the crossover would have be changed if you wanted to add them to an existing speaker, including the mid driver's low pass section.

Read some reviews that Quad's Z series have mellow treble, almost ESL-like...never heard them miself, though. Maybe a good idea to try a pair?

I used to listen jazz horn players through Neat speakers with metal dome tweeters. The results were quite painful.

Solution: got a better CD player. My speakers are fine.

advertisement

Back