advertisement

Should Britain welcome Shamima Begum Back?

I would say stating that there are occasions when an emotional response is acceptable when the circumstances allow, as in this case where an individual has joined the largest terrorist organisation on the planet, an organisation which has killed many around the world in the last few years, including the UK, then stated the Manchester bombing was acceptable under the circumstances, without me claiming all who do respond with emotion are inadequate human beings, but at the same time acknowledging that the courts have the final word on any criminal offence, regardless of public outcry, is indeed looking outside one's personal biased boundaries, you should try it sometime, instead of lying in wait with your sniper gun aimed at everyone's post ready to shoot your usual sarcastic bile, actually contribute to the thread matter, it will cleanse your soul & could go a long way to eliminate the restrained anger within.

Sorry - punctuation makes that unintelligible for me.

As for the link, nothing here suggests this woman was used as a sex slave or took part in combat of any kind so pretty useless in this particular case. I have not seen anything in print or via video interview where she has claimed sexual abuse.

Really? That's odd!

Screen-Shot-2019-02-22-at-18-44-38.png

Sorry - punctuation makes that unintelligible for me.

Really? That's odd!

Screen-Shot-2019-02-22-at-18-44-38.png
Each case is taken on it's own merits, how does this story tell us how Shamima Begum was treated. She has stated she backs up terrorist action against the UK but has not stated she was raped or used as a sex slave, she has stated she attempted pregnancy with her husband 3 times, becoming pregnant on the 3rd go having lost the previous 2, facts are what i'm interested in.

Another one of your continuous attempts to discredit while looking extremely foolish in the process.

I don't think she lost the 2 previous pregnancies, I believe they died at 9 months and 18 months old.

Each case is taken on it's own merits, how does this story tell us how Shamima Begum was treated. She has stated she backs up terrorist action against the UK but has not stated she was raped or used as a sex slave, she has stated she attempted pregnancy with her husband 3 times, becoming pregnant on the 3rd go having lost the previous 2, facts are what i'm interested in.

You requested evidence that daesh use sex slaves.

Another one of your continuous attempts to discredit while looking extremely foolish in the process.

The only person that has discredited you is yourself.

She has stated she backs up terrorist action against the UK but has not stated she was raped or used as a sex slave, she has stated she attempted pregnancy with her husband 3 times, becoming pregnant on the 3rd go having lost the previous 2, facts are what i'm interested in.

There is not enough information available at present to know whether her current testimony is under duress as she is currently detained in a camp with countless other IS captives, some of whom are known to have given punishment beatings etc to others in the area. This is clearly not a safe or impartial environment.

IS are a very conservative lot and don't believe in women fighting. There have only been reports of women being used as suicide bombers. By being alive this one was not a suicide bomber, so must have been for wife duty, which is not a war crime by her. Her potential crimes are limited to supporting IS and traveling on a stolen passport.

Good enough for me. I learned yesterday that there's up to £1000 fine for leaving dog eggs on the path, so membership of IS is probably good for crucifixion, if you get a suitable judge. First offence.

IS are a very conservative lot and don't believe in women fighting. There have only been reports of women being used as suicide bombers. By being alive this one was not a suicide bomber, so must have been for wife duty, which is not a war crime by her. Her potential crimes are limited to supporting IS and traveling on a stolen passport.

How on earth can you possibly know that?

These hand dysons look remarkably like AK47s to me.....
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ren-joining-isis-significantly-underestimated

'Limited' to supporting IS? Section 5 TACT punishable with life imprisonment.

Might have already been pointed out but successive governments have used cases like this - where many people find it difficult to sympathise with or defend the rights of the individual involved - to erode the rights of citizens in general and of immigrants and children of immigrants in particular. The increased use of citizenship revocation as a punitive tool is a very disturbing development whatever the specifics of this case.

These cases are also used to ramp up blatant racism in the press. The message of this article is very explicit and is pure National Front, yet it's in a mainstream broadsheet and written by mumsy liberal Alison Pearson:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1098888907981234176

'Shamima Begum may have been born here, but she was never British.' - @allisonpearson

Scary world they're building.

You requested evidence that daesh use sex slaves.

The only person that has discredited you is yourself.
I requested intelligence on this particular case regarding the post I responded to, i received no response from said member but instead received a link from you which has no bearing on this particular case.

It is for the courts to decide if she was used as a sex slave, claiming she has because historic crimes against women who travel to Syria to join IS suggest she could have been is not how the law works.
I do admire her honesty In this situation as I said before, she could easily have claimed all sorts to gain public sympathy but instead stood her ground which has not helped her case but at least shows her true intentions, which as far as I can see are, don't pity me, I stand by my reasons for leaving but want to return to look after my child. The law will decide her & her child's fate.

Nadia Murad is an Iraqi Yazidi. A community that lost many of their men to execution at the hands of ISIS and woman as sex slaves. I wish Begum and her husband faced trial at The Hague rather than in the UK, if she was to be questioned anywhere. I'm all for upholding the law but in this case, if Javid's ruling is overturned, I hope the paperwork takes forever.

This is clearly not a safe or impartial environment.
Fully agree with this, only when she is taken to a safe place can her case be heard, there will be little problem distinguishing if she has been forced against her will to bare children, similar tactics used when dealing with children who are suspected to have received abuse.

I imagine her online dealings with IS will be thoroughly scrutinised to determine the tactics used to lure her to Syria, if she was lured, she could well have formed opinion on her own terms & could be the reason why she contacted IS in the first place, we don't know & doubt we ever will.

I would personally prefer her & the child be returned to the UK to be assessed as I stated on page one & I fully expect this to happen at some stage once the law intervenes.

There is not enough information available at present to know whether her current testimony is under duress as she is currently detained in a camp with countless other IS captives, some of whom are known to have given punishment beatings etc to others in the area. This is clearly not a safe or impartial environment.
This.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned already but IF she was groomed/brainwashed for terrorism as a child by someone in the UK it is in our interests to investigate that and bring that person to justice. We can’t do this without allowing her back for questioning.

I wish Begum and her husband faced trial at The Hague rather than in the UK, if she was to be questioned anywhere.

I think this would be a very good approach, a neutral group to interview and compile a file of evidence (some of that evidence could come from local security services) and then tried at the Hague. In the case of the baby, as he is british he could be handed over to social services in the UK.

Each EU country could contribute to the costs and it would remove any accusations of racism or persecution that seem to be getting thrown around at the moment.

Yes Bangladesh can, from the age of 21.
Bangladesh has said she does not have, aged 19, citizenship now - which I thought I said upthread. Age 21 has nothing to do with the present issue.

My point remains the UK cannot tell Bangladesh who is or is not a Bangladeshi citizen.

advertisement

Back