advertisement

Worst musical genres ever.

I find Im more tolerant of those singing out of poverty and repression ... love te social,worker comment...but from what i recall the Bundu boys were community workers and leaders keen to set an example of non violence and showcase South African tribal culture..... see talking like a social worker.... i bought a s/h Bundu boys a year back.It had the hit on it... the rest was well below that standard

But that music was for the open air....

Just like Reggae... its outdoors music firstly and thats a good way to listen to it even if recorded.

music with too much cocaine involved i avoid as much as possible... even John Martyn and Jeff Beck blew some of their skills away as well as current cocaine influenced musicians
I did a Social Studies degree & the mature students (particularly women of a certain age) lost their shit to the Bundu's. They, therefore, equally appealed to trainee social workers

I saw the Bhundu Boys live up close in a small venue, they really were great fun! I’m not sure any of them are even still alive now, which is such a shame (AIDS got them IIRC).

yikes... all of them? Its a while since i heard much about Africa and Aids epidemic.Im sure they were "meant" to be a live good vibe band.

My place of work has recently moved to another, smaller building. Due to proximity I can now hear the music of a co-worker, of which I was previously unaware. Blissfully unaware. He plays "story telling" country songs all day, and has a pretty short list, so they repeat, and I've learned to hate them all, even Wille Nelson's cover of "Pancho & Lefty". (One is not allowed to hate Townes van Zandt, but there it is.) So this is my new least favorite genre. If I have to hear "Keep Your Nose On The Grindstone" by Tyler Childers one more time I'm going to break something. Or David Allen Coe "The Ride". Or Marty Robbins "Big Iron On His Hip". He's got a whole segment of Marty Robbins cowboy songs on his list, each of which is now capable of making me confess to crimes I didn't commit.

Not that I dislike Fado myself.. Quite partial to a bit of Amalia, or Anna Moura.. Just thought somebody probably hates it.

has anyone mentioned Bagpipes, was watching the Glasgow indoor athletics yesterday interval music bloody Bagpipes sounded bloody awful, when they finely finished the crowd did not even clap,shocking sound,

if memory serves me bagpipes started out in France, could be wrong

So we've learned that everyone hates something!
I dislike jazz but respect the musicianship involved.
I dislike permanent growling on Death Metal but the music can be technically awe inspiring, plus many of the band's don't have an incessant growler, those are the ones I like.
Rap/hip hop etc.... there are the odd songs spattered around that are well crafted but the bulk seem to be factory production line, marginal variations on a very simple equasion.
That is only my opinion however. I don't think any genre can qualify as worst ever when it sells enough copies to pay the industry and artists enough to make serious wads of dosh i.e. the public are enjoying and buying in large enough numbers to support the genre.

I actually rather like the Concertina when played well. Whilst accompanying my ageing music hall comic Father in Law to 'gigs', I was fortunate to meet the late Joe Maley, a Glaswegian who went out into the Music Hall Theatres as 'Jack Easy' and played assorted Concertinas with great skill.

This is Noel Hill

So we've learned that everyone hates something!

Not yet - I cannot think of a single genre that I could say I hate. I can think of certain bands, single songs and may be whole albums that I don't like - but hate a whole genre, definitely not!

I know which genres are my favourites, but that is for another thread.

Reggaeton
Nu-metal
Kizomba
Favela Funk
Sertanejo
Forró
Eurodance
Happy hardcore
Gabba

Try listening to any of this cr*p...

The music of any white person that is touted as Blues-Rock. Peter Green and Rory Gallagher excepted.
I get this. I remember when Gary Moore brought out his 'Still got the blues' album that was met with critical aclaim. I bought it, liked it, but after several listens, I stuck on a couple of Rory Gallagher albums. There was an authenticity and essence in Gallaghers performace that seemed to be absent from that of Gary Moore. Don't get me wrong. Moore had all the chops etc.
I happened to bump into a friend of mine soon after the release if 'Stiil got the glues'. This friend was a good many years older than me and was a blues aficionado like no one else that I knew. Like me he liked the album and reminded me of Moore's incredible career in a variety of rock genres. His take on it was that the difference with Moore and Gallagher was that Moore was playing the blues because he wanted to, but Gallagher was playing blues because he had to. For Gallagher there was no choice and hence the blues authenticity in his playing.
I hear the same authenticity with Stevie Ray Vaughan, but there is a plethora of performers out there that describe themselves as blues guitarists, but I just don't hear it. Just my two pence worth.

advertisement

Back