advertisement

Would you vote for the Soubry/Umunna party?

One key thing that today’s defection has obviously achieved is May’s shower of Brexit extremists no longer have a majority even propped up by the DUP. The parliamentary arithmetic has now changed and this is no longer a coalition government. I don’t understand enough about parliamentary law, but I’m struggling to understand how it remains a legitimate functional entity. Surely this must mean a GE? I bet May calls one very soon now.

Didn't Mrs May say she wouldn't lead them into the next election?

Who would have guessed that Britain would have fallen so fast. I was expecting a more leisurely decline cushioned by membership of the EU. We can expect a future PM and Chancellor telling parliament that they believe the economy has finally bottomed out and ‘our worst days are behind us’.
That'll be tomorrow...forever!

This is the problem in a nutshell -- they are not a party but a group of people united on a common issue (albeit a uniquely important one). So what happens when Brexit is over and half the new group agrees with the Tories and half with Labour?

Unless we are living in one of times where everything changes like when the Whigs became the Liberals and were then usurped by the Labour party.
What will happen, come the next General Election - which these defectors hope will be 2022, is that they will not get any seat anywhere.

One key thing that today’s defection has obviously achieved is May’s shower of Brexit extremists no longer have a majority even propped up by the DUP. The parliamentary arithmetic has now changed and this isn’t even a coalition government.

Labour is complicit in the Brexitcaust. Labour + Tory = majority. Even minus the remaining factions in the parties.

Those ****ers who claim to be for the working poor are willing to support the architects of austerity for a combination of weird idealogical concerns that they have never been adequately explained, plus fear of losing power because they have enough of the unthinking masses in their supporters.

What happened to leadership?

We're against Austerity, and we'll prove it by voting for something that could be worse than austerity.

We mustn't stop Brexit because it might harm our chances of forming a committee to discuss how to improve the lot of the average briton.

If that means we have a hard Brexit and we're all totally ****ed - then OK. That's better than not getting elected to have the chance to form the committee to decide how to divide up the almost nothing at all we'll be left with.

And anyway there is no point standing up for what is right and sensible, because we don't have the votes to oppose the government. I mean, it might make it look like we are in touch with reality and have principles. We have ideology. That's much more important. We need to vote for the Brexitcaust.

2 + 2 = 5

Useless ****wits.

You are probably right, but at least they made a stand for what they believe in, instead of going quietly along like so many other MPs will do.

Their consciences will be clear.
If they had any sort of conscience and integrity they would trigger a by-election and let the people who voted for them on a Party platform decide.

It's depressing how supporting austerity etc is being painted as centrist and mainstream, when in reality it's pretty hardcore rightwing, way, way to the right of the traditional Labour right wing of Smith, Hattersley etc and even Jenkins, Williams et al. I'd argue that they were united by support for nato and the bomb rather more than economic or social conservatism.

Although austerity was a failing of economic policy and was based on a very widespread misunderstanding about how economics works rather than being a particularly left or right wing thing. It seems like everyone agrees now but for years those of us who were arguing that Osborne's policy was doomed even in purely fiscal terms felt like lone voices.

Of course the policy becomes political once Osborne found it was a stick with which he could beat Labour and get re-elected and as a reason to dismantle the advances of the Blair years.

It's also interesting to note that Austerity was too extreme for Thatcher. When it was obvious that her policy was not working and the 1981 budget was making the recession worse she at least had the basic sense to stop doing it. Cameron and Osborne just ploughed on making things worse and worse and missing a literally once in three generations chance for massive investment in the country essentially for free.

What will happen, come the next General Election - which these defectors hope will be 2022, is that they will not get any seat anywhere.

I’d not be so sure. The two main parties are hated at present and there are an increasing number of people who just don’t subscribe to your intensely tribal football-chant style of binary politics.

If they had any sort of conscience and integrity they would trigger a by-election and let the people who voted for them on a Party platform decide.
Goodness me, you are so tribal. It’s not healthy, you know.

I’d not be so sure. The two main parties are hated at present and there are an increasing number of people who just don’t subscribe to your intensely tribal football-chant style of binary politics.
Well, the majority certainly don't subscribe to your pie-in-the sky failed LibDem centrist dream.

Binary politics is here to stay.

Absolutely. I mean, I realise that they want to ensure that Britain doesn't do some stupid and maybe irreparable act of self harm. But to do that they might use the wrong fork. And that would be unpardonable.

You are probably right, but at least they made a stand for what they believe in, instead of going quietly along like so many other MPs will do.

Their consciences will be clear.
If they had any conscience they (some of them) would not have supported austerity in the first place. Soubry was entirely unrepentant about that today.

advertisement

Back