advertisement

Would you vote for the Soubry/Umunna party?

This is what real anti-semitism is Bob, it's not, to put it crudely, about an argument within the Labour party over support or ortherwise for the Israeli State and its behaviour towards the Palestians.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...m-protest-marches-to-take-place-across-france

It's a revealing and disturbing article.

"French media have noted a rise in antisemitic attacks and graffiti on the margins of the gilets jaunes protests, which began in November as a fuel tax revolt and turned into a wider anti-government, anti-elite movement. Some demonstrators have used antisemitic tropes to refer to Macron’s former job as a Rothschild investment banker, or made anti-Jewish salutes."

This is an example of how an economic anti-government protest can attract fascists. It is also why it is dangerous that Corbyn got behind the advisory Leave result of the Referendum.

Chair of the Right To Vote, Tory MP Philip Lee, says the Conservative Party has become UKIP LIte. I don't think the Labour have, but they are blind to how damaging it has been for the Party to chase after the votes of Leave supporters, many of whom are racists.

Jack

"Nicola Sturgeon‏Verified account @NicolaSturgeon
Unusually heard a bit of #PMQs. Striking how symbiotic the May/Corbyn relationship seems - collusion of silence on their imploding parties, neither showing any leadership on Brexit and each one relying on the other’s incompetence to obscure their own.
12:30 PM - 20 Feb 2019"

For once I agree with Nicola Sturgeon. A pretty concise and accurate summary of the current situation IMO.

Apart from that gem, a fun press conference with some visceral criticism of the PM and her part in turning the Conservative Party into a bunch of extreme right-wing racist cranks.

Complements the extreme left-wing anti-semitic cranks now dominating the Labour party, don't you think?

Another politician with a very good point:

"Ben Bradshaw‏Verified account @BenPBradshaw
One of the important services provided by @sarahwollaston @heidiallen75 & @Anna_Soubry has been to highlight the takeover of the Conservative Party at local level by hard right zealots & #Brexit fanatics - a phenomenon almost entirely ignored by the national media.
2:11 PM - 20 Feb 2019"

As if 'no deal' wasn't looking worryingly likely before.

I also worry that the current political chaos added to a disorderly Brexit makes things like emergency powers and a state of emergency more likely. Having a functioning government will trump democratic norms. And the radicalised Tory grassroots will, of course, lap it up.

...I also worry that the current political chaos added to a disorderly Brexit makes things like emergency powers and a state of emergency more likely. Having a functioning government will trump democratic norms. And the radicalised Tory grassroots will, of course, lap it up.

I think you're very right to be concerned. Without a written constitution any powers that are grabbed may never be returned in full. As I said previously, the splits make a compromise with the Tory right more likely, not less - none of this changes the way the votes will likely fall in the Brexit debates, for the simple reason that the personnel haven't changed. It may well have hardened the views of Mann, Hoey etc

Always worth checking the top-rated comment by the radicalised BLUKIPers (as they shall now be known) on the Daily Mail website. It's where they vent. And Tory HQ will be watching as they know this is the base they need to keep sweet.

"I doubt Soubry or any of her treasonous coven will be missed."

'Treasonous coven'. Lovely. We await the public burnings.

It's been enlightening to dip my toe into this discussion about whether one might vote for a Soubry/Umunna party. My leanings are certainly more to the right than left but given the choice of Labour, Conservative or S/U then.... the Subry Umunna would get my vote. I'm probably the only one here to do so but I've never been one to particularly follow a crowd. I'll bow out now but will catch up again the other side of what might be in store for us, be that Brexit, general election or new political parties. Bob

For once I agree with Nicola Sturgeon. A pretty concise and accurate summary of the current situation IMO.

Although it does omit the point that the Tories+DUP are in Government, and the LP have been excluded from any of the negotiations, etc. So there is some breaking of the presumed symmetry.

Juliet Rodgers is an old girlfriend of mine. I liked her very much but despite her dad’s Gang of Four status she was a Trotskyist and decided to take a break when I bought a Kit Kat.

As I suspected Soubry stood by her support of the austerity imposed on this country by Cameron- Clegg and the rest of the inmates, how do you improve the country by slashing welfare for those in need,how do you improve health by cut backs on NHS spending, cut crime by savaging the Police etc

I applaud the stance that this group of MPS has shown but the divide in this country caused by so many of these people will carry on regardless because so many of the public/voters have entrenched positions ( I nearly said lack of brain power) voting for deeply entrenched views of the politicians both left and right.

advertisement

Back