advertisement

Would you vote for the Soubry/Umunna party?

BTW when in the newsagents, yesterday, I saw that the Morning Star had the same headline as the Bell cartoon. So was that sychronicity, or did one of them take that, erm, 'in homage' from t'other?... :)

Does this offer proof how much it has increased under Corbyn's leadership?
I think we were a year and a half into Corbyn's leadership by that point. And no, I wouldn't take anything Umunna says ever as proof of anything at all.

BTW when in the newsagents, yesterday, I saw that the Morning Star had the same headline as the Bell cartoon. So was that sychronicity, or did one of them take that, erm, 'in homage' from t'other?... :)
It's all co-ordinated by Momentum, Putin and Seumas Milne Jim!

I think we were a year and a half into Corbyn's leadership by that point. And no, I wouldn't take anything Umunna says ever as proof of anything at all.

He lies just like his master, Blair - remember the idea of a new party is 'bollocks' statement.

Workable solutions to what? If it's to the problem of an economy unbalanced in favour of finance, to the underrepresentation of working class voters, racism, and endless war, then trust me they are not interested in compromise: they are very committed to these things and they doing their absolute best to burn down the opposition party to prove it. Their actions are those of extremists.
They don't look particularly committed to anything as far as I can see. They look like moderates and if they can shift that perception into competent moderates they may have a chance. No idea of their chances.

The problem with being from the hard left is that many people, particularly older supporters of the labour party, know how the hard left behaved in the past, have seen the current bunch behaving in a similar manner and don't trust them to manage anything. I don't think it has much to do with policy disagreements since most reasonably rational people from both the left and right accept the need to do something about the destructive effects of seriously unbalanced wealth. If trustworthy people were running the Labour party with the same written policies as now (rather than the unwritten ones many people assume are or will be followed) Labour support in the country would be a lot higher than it's current remarkably low one given the performance of the current government.

There is however little doubt that the current Labour leadership have failed to handle the issue or protect Jewish members or MPs. I suspect Corbyn must take the blame for this as he apprars to allow an ideological hatred of Israel to cloud his judgement. Exactly the same paralysis and inaction we see over Brexit.
Quite so Tony. Just when it looked as if a bit of fire-fighting by Corbyn might sort things out, a labour MP says that she thinks Israel if funding the seven, now eight, defectors from his party. I think the next Labour Party conference should have at least one day, behind closed doors, on diplomacy and public relations.

Presumably we are going to end up with the Anti-Business Party, the Anti-Israel Party and the Pro-People's Vote Party.

It's a whole new political world!

The Green Party will seem old and boring.

Confirmed: Soubry, Allen and Wollaston quit the Conservative Party.
This is excellent news IMHO. My politics have always been center - center/right. I felt much more comfortable when the Conservatives were in the alliance with the Lib Dems. I know I go against the massive flow here but I always felt that Corbyn and the direction of Labour had moved too far to the left to be a credible opposition to the Conservatives. If these defectors, from both parties, act as a protest action to bring both the left and right to a more center ground then that is very good news IMHO.

Presumably we are going to end up with the Anti-Business Party, the Anti-Israel Party and the Pro-People's Vote Party.

It's a whole new political world!

The Green Party will seem old and boring.

An extreme right wing party, a mainstream pro-business party and a socially progessive party (+minorities)

This is excellent news IMHO. My politics have always been center - center/right. I felt much more comfortable when the Conservatives were in the alliance with the Lib Dems. I know I go against the massive flow here but I always felt that Corbyn and the direction of Labour had moved too far to the left to be a credible opposition to the Conservatives. If these defectors, from both parties, act as a protest action to bring both the left and right to a more center ground then that is very good news IMHO.
Nothing wrong with going against the flow, I would offer that the government you speak of split this country down the middle, leaving a gaping hole in the centre, just an observation after 9 years of Tory rule.
Soubry is no centre right politician, her leaving will not bring parity to a new break away party & those thinking of joining her from the Labour party & those in the country who believe this move to be of benefit to the country will realise this soon enough.

What is too far to the left about Labour policies?
Anyone not wet behind the ears can only wonder at these 8/11 being described as centre ground politicians-they are Tories..

I think the political mix, once this settles and Brexit is sorted, is likely to be Tory/Ind/DUP vs Lab/SNP/Green/PC/LD. The centrists will be much like Tory independents in local government where people are often too embarrassed to call themselves Tory.

What's intesting to me is the manner in which the Tories have split, with a heavy heart etc, there's none of the bile and hatred on display.

Tory MP Philip Lee, chairman of the Right To Vote campaign, has complained on Sky News that Theresa May has refused to meet him for discussions. He says there is an obvious split in the Conservative Party about Brexit, the public aren't getting what they voted for in the Referendum, so there should be a second poll.

The Sky presenter asked if such Tory MPs might join Labour's Blue 7, or rather 8 now Joan Ryan has gone to them. Lee said they wouldn't. The 8 are dealing with other issues as well, namely antisemitism.

Jack

Confirmed: Soubry, Allen and Wollaston quit the Conservative Party.

I have no idea if they can ever become a "party". However, from watching some of the parliamentary/committee sessions both Allen and Wollaston (as mentioned up thread) seem more capable than most. First flicker for me that perhaps something better could emerge from the chaos.

Steve

advertisement

Back