advertisement

No sound left channel? Moon Simaudio i-5

TurnItUp

pfm Member
Pains me to say it but theres now no sound coming from the left channel on my Moon i-5

I had unplugged my speakers to test an unused set before selling them.
Went to play music today and there was no sound. I realised I'd forgot to plug the speakers back in. Plugged them back in but theres now no sound from the left channel.

I'm wondering if the act of switching on the amp with no speakers attached to the cables has damaged the amp in someway? Cables were lying on the carpet. not sure if they were touching at the contacts or not.

Is this likely repairable? First time I've ever had a problem like this. No idea if its an easy fix or now an expensive paper weight.
I'm absolutely gutted. Love the amp more than my wife.

I'm in Glasgow. Who's best bet to take it in for assessment?

You didn't turn it off then... ouch! Well I fix amps and can take it on if you wish... Newcastle area. I don't do "assessments" etc though just go ahead and fix it... Working out what went wrong and precisely what needs doing is the difficult bit... actually fixing it's a piece of cake in comparison!

If it’s dead on one channel, the plugs were probably touching when you switched it on which will likely have damaged output devices on that channel. Been there myself with a Linn Majik, the smoke coming out of the vents were the first sign of trouble in that incident. Send it to Jez, he’ll sort it.

You didn't turn it off then... ouch! Well I fix amps and can take it on if you wish... Newcastle area. I don't do "assessments" etc though just go ahead and fix it... Working out what went wrong and precisely what needs doing is the difficult bit... actually fixing it's a piece of cake in comparison!
Thanks mate, appreciate the offer but newcastle is a bit far. Its the older version I-5, it weighs a tonne! Not sure it would be economical to ship it.

If it’s dead on one channel, the plugs were probably touching when you switched it on which will likely have damaged output devices on that channel. Been there myself with a Linn Majik, the smoke coming out of the vents were the first sign of trouble in that incident. Send it to Jez, he’ll sort it.
I switched the amp off when I realised the cables were unplugged. It was off while I was reconnecting them.
I know nothing about repairs like this, but there wasnt any smoke or strong smells or anything like that.
How was your Majik repaired? What was blown? Was it very costly?
My fear is that it wont be economical to have it repaired :(
I cant believe I didn't check the cables. Really annoyed with myself. Normally so pedantic about stuff like this.

Loud and Clear in Glasgow are Simaudio dealers if that helps @TurnItUp
Thanks deek, Thats who I bought it from. They will be my first phone call on Tuesday morning when they open. I'm just not sure if they do in house repairs? I'm praying that it's something easy to fix like the caps or transistor etc. It's the old I-5 that was produced from 1998 till 2005 and mine was manufactured in 2005. It's practically vintage nowadays.
I've been lucky in that this is the first time I've ever had an amp break. But if its more than a blown cap, parts from Simaudio won't be cheap!

Deary me :(

My Majik is different to your amp in that it used ICs whereas your amp uses fully discreet components, it had blown the ICs on the left channel along with a handful of supporting components.

I could have repaired it myself but Linn put a new board in it, which as a bonus had the phono stage (my amp was originally line only) I requested they replace the sleeve and the facia as it had a few small marks, they did the lot for £150, the only original parts were the display PCB and the transformer when it came back.

I’ve no doubt your amp is repairable, if there is no smoke, it’s probably because the power supply is going into protection (assuming the output stage is damaged). It’s a fully dual mono design with no shared power supply components with the exception of the transformer. It’s a nice bit of kit and I’d definitely get it fixed. I’m even further away than Jez (West Midlands) and I’m busy with manufacturing work. Jez knows his stuff, much more than I do when it comes to big old amplification.

Thanks deek, Thats who I bought it from. They will be my first phone call on Tuesday morning when they open. I'm just not sure if they do in house repairs? I'm praying that it's something easy to fix like the caps or transistor etc. It's the old I-5 that was produced from 1998 till 2005 and mine was manufactured in 2005. It's practically vintage nowadays.
I've been lucky in that this is the first time I've ever had an amp break. But if its more than a blown cap, parts from Simaudio won't be cheap!

Deary me :(
It won’t be a capacitor, it’ll most likely be one or both output transistors on the affected channel and possibly a few ancillary components surrounding them, blown output devices aren’t always as terminal as people think they are. The parts won’t be unique to Simaudio either, any engineer will have a trusted supplier/s of parts and won’t have to source them from Simaudio, so don’t despair, it’ll be fixable and shouldn’t cost the earth. I’ve never owned any Simaudio gear but I’ve always liked it.

It won’t be a capacitor, it’ll most likely be one or both output transistors on the affected channel and possibly a few ancillary components surrounding them, blown output devices aren’t always as terminal as people think they are. The parts won’t be unique to Simaudio either, any engineer will have a trusted supplier/s of parts and won’t have to source them from Simaudio, so don’t despair, it’ll be fixable and shouldn’t cost the earth. I’ve never owned any Simaudio gear but I’ve always liked it.
Thanks bud, this somewhat puts my mind at rest. If I can have it repaired for anything like £150 I'll be very happy.
Its certainly a good bit of kit, its been rock solid this whole time, never flinched once. The fact that it's my own carelessness that's caused it is a hard pill to swallow.
I've checked online and found these local guys who, according to their website, actually do repair work for a few Glasgow hifi shops including Loud and Clear.
http://www.jslhifi.co.uk/home.html
Thanks for the input though. I'm starting to feel a bit better. Cup of tea and a whole pack of choc hob nobs in one go should help.
Maybe I'll listen to some mus... nope!

Thanks mate, appreciate the offer but newcastle is a bit far. Its the older version I-5, it weighs a tonne! Not sure it would be economical to ship it.

Just looked up the spec. It only weighs around 13kg so you should be able to post using somewhere like Interparcel for about £12 but you would only get a basic £50 insurance at that price.

advertisement

Back