advertisement

Kii III (pruned)

Mike.

Go have a read of the D&D thread?

Thanks Andrew but do I have to? :) I can't conjure up any enthusiasm for this type of product. Besides, I've got a fairly large room; big enough for large ESLs or any behemoth m.coil speaker. Bit pricy for my office ! (Yeah, dinosaur; I know.:()

Mike,

Not at all. You ask away as you wish.

I was only being constructive/helpful.

Have a good festive period btw...

Ps my listening room isn’t too small, or too big...

If I had 27k to blow on a new speaker setup a visit to Keith would be first on my list. I love the tech in these bad boys, it’s not magic - it’s the way it should be done in this modern world of ours. The ‘gubbins’ aren’t a gimmick, they’re a solution.

I think he’s pretty nearby? I’m in Farnham, Surrey? ... must stay away.

I think that there must be a time when effective room compensation/correction isn’t just reliant on positioning and damping. The system should have capacity to discreetly do this, without sacrificing sound quality.

I’m not for the kii in terms of appearance. Aesthetics will play a part, for me. The D&D ticks this box more for me.

I can't conjure up any enthusiasm for this type of product.

Seriously? You have no ethusiasm for attempting to get the best sound that you can in your own environment? I thought that hi-fi was all about that?
In contrast, I have lots of "enthusiasm" for getting the best sonic experience at home. When I saw the buzz about these, I went to listen since that's the only valid route to an opinion. I ended up buying them and facilitated that by selling my existing speakers + amps and racks etc. I quite like the way they look but couldn't care less if they looked like a butcher's dog - it's all about the sound.

Besides, I've got a fairly large room; big enough for large ESLs or any behemoth m.coil speaker.

My lounge is huge and high; I could accomodate Focal Grande Utopias pretty easily (notwithstanding the cost). The Kiis sound beter than any "behemoth" I've ever had in there. AFAIAC, I'm giving away nothing by owning these. I will probably demo the BXT but am not really thinking of getting them since the sound I have presently is so satisfying that I'd rather spend my spare wedge elsewhere.

He liked them, they drew gasps which is always a good sign, especially from engineers when listening to their own recordings.
Keith

Listening today with a friend and it is a terrible old chestnut but the Kii/BXt really do want to make you listen to all your favourite songs, just to hear what they sound like.
Really incredibly good.
Keith

So what do these bring to the table over and above the already exceptional performance of the "naked" Kii Three?

There is an option to switch the BXT module ‘off’ in the ‘control’s’ menu, so it is straightforward to compare .
Technically bass is extended to 20Hz at -3dB at much higher spls, ( although I never found loudness an issue with the THREEs alone) the cardioid response is extended down to 20Hz and the speaker now becomes a line source, so some floor cancellations are cancelled.
In terms of sound, everything is so clear, even low bass , they are like a ‘super’ three a three on steroids there is just more of everything .
Not just louder but in terms of resolution even imaging , but at a price of course.
I think you would have to try them and decide whether they are worth it.
Personally I always wanted a pair of Beolab 90’s because they had that drama,scale, but the Kii/BXt has that they really are incredibly good, you know that already because you have a pair!
They are without doubt the finest sound I have heard here.
Keith

They are without doubt the finest sound I have heard here.

Sounds like I need to stay well away from an audition!
Once I've heard these I won't be able to "unhear" them...just as was the case when I heard the naked Kiis.
I'm perfectly happy with my existing system, which is easily the best I have had at home. Do I need to be even happier vs. alternative ways to dump 15 large? Hmmmmmm.....

You would always be most welcome, it would be interesting to hear your thoughts, the Kiis are on their own superb.
Keith

advertisement

Back