advertisement

AirPort Expresses getting very unreliable - fixes? Alternatives?

djftw

Heterodox Member
Ey up everyone.

My venerable Airport Expresses (1st Gen) are becoming very unreliable, frequently needing everything in the network reset before a device can find them and regularly dropping out/off between songs or episodes. Doesn't seem to matter what app is outputting to it, but higher bitrates seem to increase the frequency of drop offs.

a) Is there any fixable reason this might be the case? I did wonder if could be the router as it seems to need restarting too, but using the old AirPort Extreme to test that theory didn't change anything.

b) Assuming not a fix, what is the best alternative these days. I'm assuming there are now relatively inexpensive things that will also work with non-Apple products? Maybe even with internet radio and/or the ability to play from the Asset server on my NAS. Please don't say Pi, I have one and it is useless. I set up Volumio, it works perfectly for a short while then suddenly it isn't there! Volumio either has forgotten everything and is broadcasting its generic network to set it up like a new installation, or has corrupted. I have tried multiple micro SDs and writing it from different PCs without any difference in this...

Thanks in advance!

Hell, I've got two of the last Airport Extremes, and they run like clockwork. Similarly, I have the last gen Airport Express and it's stable as. In contrast, I had an earlier one with Wireless-n, and it got a bit flakey. You can pick up the last of the Airport Extremes for buttons these days, while every man and his dog blows wads of cash on wifi hardware they think they need. The last of the Airport Express are also great value.

I have an Apple Express (3rd gen) and that converts all input to 16-bit and 44.1 kHz.
Which output are you using, digital or analogue?
I think there are a couple of things to try.
First of all, reset your network.
Deactivate all your network devices and then reset the router to its factory setting (make sure you have your ssid and password) then add each device, one by one.
If you are connecting everything via wireless check for possible channel overload/interference for other networks.

Now the pi
Which pi is it? what are you using for a power supply and how are you connecting it to the network.
I think that recent editions of Volumio are more stable (how are you making the image?).

Just to add that wall-wart power supplies do have a finite life but it would be a little unusual for several to begin failing at the same time.
I think you need to sort out your router and network first.

ronnie

check for possible channel overload/interference for other networks.

This ^.

If you are on Windows, try using a freebie Wi-Fi network utility such as inSSIDer. The best way of using this is on a laptop/notebook as you can test at the receiving location(s). IIRC, there may exist iOS and Android versions too.

If on Mac, Option + Click on the Wi-Fi Status icon in the menu bar and note your Wi-Fi network channel; RSSI or Received Signal Strength Indicator (in power -dBm; the closer the value is to 0, the stronger the received signal); and Noise values (the latter also in power -dBm) from which SNR (Signal to Noise) can be calculated via subtraction.

SNR is key here, as this is the ultimate determining factor of reliable transmission.

The latest version of Windows is awful with Airport Expess connectivity.

I am forever turning ipv4 and ipv6 on and off to get my AE devices and the pc to connect properly.

Older versions of Windows were rock solid which makes me wonder if they do it on purpose?

I had a similar problem streaming Tidal via Roon to Airport express and a Squeezebox touch in separate systems, regular drop outs and resets.

I have replaced them with chromecast audios, not one issue so far and will stream 96kHz/24bit

Airport stuff is great, but rather dated now, and there are better options available. If you want a fully wireless setup, look at a Mesh setup - Apple sell the Linksys version now that Airports are discontinued, but others are available, including one from Google.
Better still if you are prepared to run some Ethernet cables is to run some newer ESSID access points such as the Ubiquiti AC-Lite should be even better. (Or if your Express isn’t wired, run a cable to that and it should help.)

AirPort Express connects to the network at network level; the OS of another connected device has nothing to do with how this connection is established and/or maintained (other than providing a platform from which to run communication software which may or may not be, inadvertently or otherwise, under attack by Microsoft).

Suggestions for those who are experiencing problems: 1) check network health at point(s) of reception (as above); 2) revert back to a known working version of their AirPlay enabled software.

advertisement

Back