advertisement

Audiolab M-dac+ digital out volume

Toube

Hi,

first post here.
I was planning on getting the Audiolab M-dac+ to use with my Genelec speakers as 2.0 stereo.
A couple of questions:

Anyone know if the M-dac+ can control the digital out volume?

Can one use the USB in and send the signal to the digital out?

Regards,
Toube

Update:

I just cancelled the DAC order and got myself a Yamaha wxc-50 instead. It has volume control for the digital out so it will do the job. Obviously I will not be using the Runeaudio for this project because there is no point of hooking up another device to the link.
Now using the wcx-50 the link will be:
Room correction -> DA (Digital to analog)
If I would have used a DAC with raspberry pi it woul look like:
DA -> AD (analog to digital) -> Room correction -> DA

So the signal travels 2 steps less and that will have a positive impact in the sound quality.. well at least on paper

the M-DAC+ like the original model can indeed control the volume digitally in 1dB steps down to -80dB (IIRC). I used to connect my original M-DAC straight to my power amp. I replaced my original with the plus model but chose to add the matching pre-amp. The difference in SQ was marginally better controlling the volume with the pre-amp but the difference was pretty close in my setup. Analogue control of volume will attenuate noise as well as volume but digital control attenuates the volume but is controversial how much doing so effects the noise floor & SQ.

This subject has been covered here extensively but cannot recall any consensus which people preferred. Welcome to PFM.

advertisement

Back