advertisement

ATC or Dynaudio with Naim amps

ATC or Dynaudio with Naim amps

• Total voters
Given your 'special' requirements I think the sub woofer idea is a really good one - been there and done that. The way a good sub improves the dynamic expression of smaller speakers has to be heard to be appreciated.

So I have some great news.... for me, and it can help you. I needed bookshelf that could literally go on a bookshelf because of some design changes. I demoed the following:

B&W 805
Ariel 5T
Falcon ls5/3
Spendor classic 3/1
Harbeth p3esr
Harbeth 30.1 anniversary
ATC scm19

Best were the Harbeth 30.1, although also the most expensive. Somebody on another forum said to check out Guru Audio Q10. Well, after much back and forth with the owner, and not wanting to spend the money on the Harbeth if I didn't have to... I decided to give them a try. Since in the US, they only sell direct here. They offered me free shipping both ways in case I didn't like them.

Well I've had them for one day, and so far I am shocked!! They have bass well beyond their size. Jazz, Hip-Hop, Reggae, all sound big and full. It's only been one day, but they are already great. I'll update more in a few days after they break in more.

Let me add, the Gurus are meant to be close to a back wall. Which is what I needed.

Given your 'special' requirements I think the sub woofer idea is a really good one - been there and done that. The way a good sub improves the dynamic expression of smaller speakers has to be heard to be appreciated.

Yes, I use a pair of REL R528SE subs with my standmounts and the result is great IMO.

Yes, I use a pair of REL R528SE subs with my standmounts and the result is great IMO.

... but also a bit of an investment..... you can start out with one and get a great sound too. Though I agree that two is brill :)

... but also a bit of an investment..... you can start out with one and get a great sound too. Though I agree that two is brill :)

Agreed. I started with one and was lucky enough to be able to buy a second one at a great price. But I think that the end result truly justifies paying full price. ;)

Atc 19 with no punch! When I had 19’s they were driven by atc amp and they had punch, bass and did everything very very well. I would think that the 19 is showing up the amp a bit as they need current.
its all relative. the scm19 has no punch compared to a 10 inch woofer or 12 inch.

I run a pair of old Dynaudio Audience 52s off a 23 year old Nait 3 (Non R) Sources are Quad FM4, Chromecast & Schiit Modi ....I find the whole set up to be very musical.

I previosly had Keilidhs ... not so musical...

The Nait really sings with the Dyns...

I never heard ATCs

To the OP.

Try both and decide which you like best.

If you like neither, try something else.

If you still can't find a speaker you like with your NAIM... get different amps.

I would say that dyns need more amp than naim from my experience and they do best with space (don’t they all?) but you *can* get them as close to a rear wall as possible then treat the higher frequency problems that occur as a result and they will sound wonderful.

Personally I would say get proacs or something more suited to naim or otherwise get ready to drop some dosh on more amplification.

I've loaned the Special 40s at home and owned the ATC SCM20PSL (very similar to the SCM19), and used both with Naim amps (Supernait and NAP250DR).

The Special 40s were very sensitive to room dimensions and positioning, and despite extensive effort with positioning and using the port bungs, they boomed excessively in my listening room, and presented an astonishingly powerful but ill-defined/bloated bass. Otherwise superb and engaging! The ATCs are a sealed box design and were not in the least sensitive to positioning. They were obviously more accurate and precise, throughout the range but especially in the lower frequencies. They can sound lean by comparison, but the body is there when it should be, and not when it shouldn't. I couldn't go back to a port-loaded 2-way. The ATCs were also capable of playing louder with less strain.

As ever, listen if you can.

I had a some SCM19 and loved them lots of detail and they went pretty low plus
No matter how loud you play them they don't lose there composer
I only sold them in the end to get the SCM40s

advertisement

Back