advertisement

4->5 pin SNAIC for 62/SNAPS/160 or 4->4 SNAIC?

Jonathan

pfm Member
I was just about to solder up a 4->5 pin SNAIC when i came across this thread ...

https://forums.naimaudio.com/topic/nac-42-to-snaps-connection

so ... i can just use the usual connection to amplifier power with my link plug in place and substitute the SNAPS for the amplifier (meaning use the same SNAIC-4 to route instead to the SNAPS) and then use another SNAIC-4 from SNAPS to the 160 ...?

out of curiosity - which internal rails does the link plug join - the input and output rails? I ask because i'm not 'running' any phono cards ...

The link plugs links the two rails in the 42 but I can't remember how they're split. Don't make a 4-5 pin 240 SNAIC as one day you'll forget what it's for and plug it the wrong way round into a HiCap. I've had to tell customers we won't make these for people. If you go direct to the 160 from the 42 you'll need to remove the power pin from the SNAIC or the 160 so they both don'y try and power the pre-amp - that'll almost certainly kill one of the regulators.

The link plugs links the two rails in the 42 but I can't remember how they're split. Don't make a 4-5 pin 240 SNAIC as one day you'll forget what it's for and plug it the wrong way round into a HiCap. I've had to tell customers we won't make these for people. If you go direct to the 160 from the 42 you'll need to remove the power pin from the SNAIC or the 160 so they both don'y try and power the pre-amp - that'll almost certainly kill one of the regulators.

OH? good to know - seems contrary to the advice given on the naim forum site ... mine's a 62 but same difference i guess ... prior to this i always thought removing the link plug somehow interrupted the power from the amplifier ...

i would have thought the SNAPS era cabling topology, like with the hicap, automatically prevents such problems ...? i guess not ... or not since the five pin system with link plug was introduced (?) ... hmmmmm ...

All the link plug does is to connect the two supply rails in the preamplifier together so that it can be powered by a single rail supply via the adjacent 4 pin socket.

All the link plug does is to connect the two supply rails in the preamplifier together so that it can be powered by a single rail supply via the adjacent 4 pin socket.

thanks Malcolm - soooo ... it means I should disable the 160 power supply that i just built (haha) in order to connect the SNAPS? just a bit confused here as it seems others have been able to connect a SNAPS and HICAP WITHOUT amplifier surgery. I suppose i should take a good hard look at the 'big picture' wiring diagram ... i was just under the impression you could connect these without flame coming out ...

just had a look inside the SNAPS - i guess (obviously in hindsight) the positiive power connection to the amp is not connected to the rest of the jacks ... or anything ... sorry for the trouble!! - i just got a bit thrown off by MJS' comments ... i might do well to look before asking ... i just hear so many warnings about naim's voodoo grounding and power peculiarities that I tend to look for answers from the naim cognoscenti first

threw on kraftwerk's man-machine - sounds lovely with the SNAPS - i'm sure the new 15,000µF condenser didn't hurt things ... now i'll have to look into some reg boards or superSNAPS mods

advertisement

Back