advertisement

Entry level Naim separates question

plimpington2

pfm Member
Hey folks,

Is there ANY reason to believe that a Naim NAC 152XS + NAP 155XS will outperform a Nait XS 2 into a pair of Rega RX-5’s?

I suspect these are just the Nait XS2 split into two boxes (or, perhaps vice versa).

Judd

I have never tried the RX5s, but I have owned all of those Naim components. I would probably go with the NAIT XS 2 myself, but then I do have a bit of a thing for integrated amplifiers.

I demoed the Nait XS 2 and Nait 5si using the Rega RX1's with the ND5 XS 2 streamer.

I didn't rate either amp TBH. Out of the two I actually preferred the 5si. I really wanted to like one the Naim amps as I wanted one to match the ND5 XS 2. My dealer threw the Exposure 2010S2D into the mix and straight away I knew I would be buying the Exposure. Everything just came alive.

I did have three separate demos with the Naim amps so I really did give them a fair shot and I'm still buying the Naim streamer. It's just the Naim amps really didn't float my boat.

I am inclined to agree, but as an Exposure retailer I am a bit biased. You could actually buy the step up 3010S2D model for less than the price of a NAIT XS 2. That model gives the SuperNAIT 2 a bloody nose.

I am inclined to agree, but as an Exposure retailer I am a bit biased. You could actually buy the step up 3010S2D model for less than the price of a NAIT XS 2. That model gives the SuperNAIT 2 a bloody nose.

The Nait XS 2 was at a ex demo price which I might have stretch to but the 3010 is over my budget.

I currently own 152/155 with the mandatory FC XS: the most musical amplification that I ever had.

If you are patient, you can get this trio s/h for less than 2,000 €.

In the past I owned Exposure 2010s, Naim Nait XS, LFD Zero, Sonneteer Orton, Linn Majik-I, Linn Akurate pre/power.

Speakers are Linn 109 (Spendor S5 / A6 in the past).

All lovely amp, but 2010s is my second favourite.

Never liked 3010 and SN2 though, despite having demoed at home both for a month some years ago.

M.

Hey folks,

Is there ANY reason to believe that a Naim NAC 152XS + NAP 155XS will outperform a Nait XS 2 into a pair of Rega RX-5’s?

I suspect these are just the Nait XS2 split into two boxes (or, perhaps vice versa).

Judd
For me, the 152/155 wins that contest hands down. Whether that holds true for you will, as ever, depend on the rest of your system, setup, and to some extent, personal preference. Try to listen before you buy.

Well, I have to say the price for the separates is insanely low - UpscaleAudio.com (in the US) says they bought all of Naim’s remaining stock of (now discontinued) NAP 152XS + NAP 155XS and is blowing them out for $2200 for the combination. These were damned near $5700 retail 2 months ago. That’s a hell of a lot of amplifier for $2200.

But I owned the Nait XS2 for a while and it was ok, but did not have the magic my old
olive stuff did. And so I moved it on. I’m guessing the 152/155 will be more of the same. Hmm

I'd say jump on this while you can. On another note, it is a little scary to see brand new Naim products selling for less than half the retail price... Doesn't look good for Naim.

I'd say jump on this while you can. On another note, it is a little scary to see brand new Naim products selling for less than half the retail price... Doesn't loog good for Naim.
They were officially discontinued early this year, so I don’t think this is anything to do with Naim stuff not selling.

I'd say jump on this while you can. On another note, it is a little scary to see brand new Naim products selling for less than half the retail price... Doesn't look good for Naim.

I can’t disagree - but Naim isn’t the company it used to be. Now it’s more of a commodity . . . with products in every niche of high end audio (and not so high end audio). And the idea of blowing these things out the back of the warehouse is, I guess, just another cog in the business model they now operate under.

I can’t disagree - but Naim isn’t the company it used to be. Now it’s more of a commodity . . . with products in every niche of high end audio (and not so high end audio). And the idea of blowing these things out the back of the warehouse is, I guess, just another cog in the business model they now operate under.
I think you’re reading too much into this. Naim’s order books for their current products are full, and there is nothing remotely unusual about selling off a discontinued product at a discount to clear out any remaining stock.

I think you’re reading too much into this. Naim’s order books for their current products are full, and there is nothing remotely unusual about selling off a discontinued product at a discount to clear out any remaining stock.

Maybe so. . . I don’t know. I DO know some brands nevet discount in order to protect the mark. I’m unsure if that’s true in this industry, however.

Hey folks,

Judd

I have good experience with both amplifiers, and would choose whatever available in good condition matching your budget, note the older XS non mk2 often available much cheaper s/h, not that much differ from mk2.
A dedicated psu will often improve though lately I've got my eyes more up for integrated amps and their coherence/flow, mind you how long signal has to travel in a 3- box Naim

OTOH I was never able to control loose basnote booms RS5 in my room, hope its different with RX5 and your evironment

IMO exposure amplication, good as they are, are very different to XS range, homedemo is the solution to pick

My experience is with the Nait XS and 202/200. The integrated has a sound that is warmer and more together. As a result there is a lack of separation and detail. The separates have better separation and detail and sound leaner. Difference between the amps is rather large.

The difference between the Nait XS2 and 152/155 may be smaller.

Why not a Rega elicit-r? One would think the synergy would be better with Rega speakers.
I am thinking of getting out of separates myself just not sure if I need to jump to elicit-r or Osiris as I currently have top of the Exposure separates

advertisement

Back