advertisement

FM Tuner question.

........However, I for one am not prepared to buy all the kit needed to access internet radio just to see whether it would be (a) better in s.q. terms (very doubtful) and (b) I'd enjoy the various music selections.

It depends on what equipment you already have as to how much it costs to get internet radio. In my case I was told by my friend & neighbour that my ipod touch would do it & how right he was. The only additional kit I needed were an Apple AV adaptor & an Hdmi cable which were about £70 in total. The quality is generally quite good but not as good as the best FM in my opinion. You are right in saying in your earlier response that live broadcasts seem to be the ones which suffer the most compression & most mornings I finish breakfast listening to recorded music on Radio 3 which usually sounds better than internet radio.

I for one am not prepared to buy all the kit needed to access internet radio just to see whether it would be (a) better in s.q. terms (very doubtful) and (b) I'd enjoy the various music selections.

All the kit? It's dead easy and dirt cheap.
1. Plug in your existing computer with a headphone to RCA adaptor. Cost £5 tops. Probably nearer £2.
2. Get an Amazon Fire tablet, £30 last Friday, and a lead as above.
3. Use a smartphone if you have one.
4. Use an Amazon Dot (Alexa) device, £25. This is the easiest of all to use, you plug it in and tell it "alexa play..." and it does. Radio Paradise, FIP, Jazz FM, Radio Cambodia, Radio dark side of the moon. I use this in my kitchen, every day. It's the price of a tranny radio and it gets me great music from all over the world. It sees more use than the hifi.

It depends on what equipment you already have as to how much it costs to get internet radio

3. Use a smartphone if you have one.

1. Plug in your existing computer with a headphone to RCA adaptor

Thanks, gents. I don't have a smartphone. Steve, I don't understand that instruction, I'm afraid. Whereas I would be interested in hearing this internet radio (through my system), it's unlikely to have much use, as I fire everything up twice (or maybe thrice) a week and apart from Jazz Record Requests + J-Z, even my 01 doesn't get listened to much. Maybe I could look at the crappy office system, where my computer is, as Classic FM, R3 or 4 tends to be on a great deal more.

What kinds of music proliferate on these internet radio stations; can you, e.g., get French classical stations as I used to when I had my G23 and rotator yonks ago?

I read this with interest. I have a Nat 01 which I am selling, what would be a reasonable ball park figure to ask? I have no idea of the magnitude of current market value.
Thanks.

Good luck
:):)

Thanks, gents. I don't have a smartphone. Steve, I don't understand that instruction, I'm afraid. Whereas I would be interested in hearing this internet radio (through my system), it's unlikely to have much use, as I fire everything up twice (or maybe thrice) a week and apart from Jazz Record Requests + J-Z, even my 01 doesn't get listened to much. Maybe I could look at the crappy office system, where my computer is, as Classic FM, R3 or 4 tends to be on a great deal more.

What kinds of music proliferate on these internet radio stations; can you, e.g., get French classical stations as I used to when I had my G23 and rotator yonks ago?

I've not listened to non-BBC internet 'radio' stations for some time as R3/R4 tend to keep me happy. But you can generally fetch the radio streams with a suitable (free) bit of audio playing software given the right URL. e.g. In the past I listened to the Linn Records streams using either FireFox or Audacious IIRC. Just play out of the computer using a USB DAC to your amp. Or via whatever hardware you have.

There are lists of stations and the relevant URLs on the web. I recall once listening to an Opera from the USA, comparing one of their stations broadcasting it with the same going out 'live' on R3! And, yes, R3 sounded better. :)

I did once write a simple (RISC OS) programme to capture such streams as direct, undecoded recorded files for the purpose of analysis. So you should also be able to do that with the right software.

Ye gods, Brab; there seem to be more stations that classical compositions (well, almost !) :). Thanks for that.

Ye gods, Brab; there seem to be more stations that classical compositions (well, almost !) :). Thanks for that.

Some time since I've used them, but AVRO used to be pretty good. And there are many other non-European stations. I did find some good ones in the USA, but don't have the URLs to hand. Look for other pages that offer lists. There are lots. Many are rubbish, of course, but there are good ones to find.

Steve, I don't understand that instruction, I'm afraid.
OK, I imagine that you are using a lappy to post here, or a tablet. There will be a headphone out on the side. Get a lead that has a 3.5mm headphone jack on one end and normal hifi plugs (RCA) left and right on the other. Like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01D5H8JW0/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21.
Plug this into the phones out of the computer and the other end into your normal amplifier, just like a tuner. If you have Naim you will need a 5 pin DIN end. Then find a radio station.

Christ, what isn't there? Any French radio station you like. Any German one. Pretty well anywhere in America. Japan. Australia. Jazz only? Try FIP Jazz. Obscure West Coast hip-hop? Probably. Traditional Malian music? Sure. Radio Madagascar? Have a look here:
https://tunein.com/radio/Madagascar-r101264/
I kid you not.

For the best in internet radio, you need Penistone FM. Broadcasting from Penistone, Yorkshire, and covering events in Dodworth and also as far afield as the whole Barnsley metropolitan area. If you prefer French radio, find RPS FM.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Here we go, obscure hip-hop: http://hot108jamz.radio.net/
A bit of Malian stuff: http://kledu.radio.net/
Japanese techno: http://kittikun.radio.net/
FIP jazz : https://www.fip.fr/webradio-fip-autour-du-jazz (can be used as a leaping-off point for other genres).
FIP classique: https://www.fip.fr/liste/classique
But yeah, internet radio is rubbish. There's just no variety. I mean they have absolutely nothing on Scandinavian death metal.
Oh hang on: http://death.fm/modules.php?name=Listen
Bollocks. They do.

France Musique (highest quality stream): http://direct.francemusique.fr/live/francemusique-hifi.aac

My old hometown station that I've listened to since university conveniently has streaming archives of all their shows for two weeks after they aired. Reggae, blues, electronic, world pop, Spanish, jazz... Through my Chromecast Audio into the stereo, or from the KEXP app on my tablet/phone, etc. It makes the world seem a lot smaller!

My old hometown station that I've listened to since university conveniently has streaming archives of all their shows for two weeks after they aired. Reggae, blues, electronic, world pop, Spanish, jazz... Through my Chromecast Audio into the stereo, or from the KEXP app on my tablet/phone, etc. It makes the world seem a lot smaller!

KEXP is frustrating as they used to have an uncompressed 1411 kb/s FLAC stream. However, it ceased several years ago and the highest quality they offer now is MP3 at 128 kb/s. Bah.

KEXP is frustrating as they used to have an uncompressed 1411 kb/s FLAC stream. However, it ceased several years ago and the highest quality they offer now is MP3 at 128 kb/s. Bah.
True, but I never got used to the uncompressed stream since (IIRC) it was only for the live stream, and I didn't really love the daytime DJs.

I think that the weakness of Internet Radio is lack of funds and quality curation, at least in the music areas I am interested in. Part of the reason I listen to Sirius XM satellite, is that they have actual knowledgeable humans behind the music (like Marcus Miller on Real Jazz channel on Sunday). If you want a free or cheap source of music, then Internet Radio is great. if you want more of a "program", than you typically have to pay for that.

OK, I imagine that you are using a lappy to post here, or a tablet. There will be a headphone out on the side. Get a lead that has a 3.5mm headphone jack on one end and normal hifi plugs (RCA) left and right on the other. Like this:

No, I'm a p.c. man, but I get your drift. Have the bits to make my own, but at that price.......!. Working from my p.c. into my office system would be more feasible, and thanks for your destructions previously.:)

I use a Quad FM4 and Nat 03 on my systems....both work fine with an omnidirectional aerial stuck on my satellite dish bracket....

No, I'm a p.c. man, but I get your drift. Have the bits to make my own, but at that price.......!. Working from my p.c. into my office system would be more feasible, and thanks for your destructions previously.:)

Have a look back on my thread earlier in the year when I asked about using a lap-top or whether I needed a streamer. In the end I decided to follow the recommendation of my friend next door & use my i-pod touch - but the same free app is available on the i-pod & laptop. Someone also gave me a link to a list of numerous stations with the bit rates. Any stations you like can be saved as favourites so it is very simple to select them & the choice of music is massive from all around the world - you can select by type & in some cases by composer.

advertisement

Back