advertisement

Floorstanding speaker that sound like Harbeth M30.1

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I haven't heard sonus faber speakers but I don't like the look of them, they look stylish and well made just not my minimal style.
I was wondering could you have the standmounts like the harbeths sitting on a long sideboard with say mini stands to just isolate them from the sideboard, Im thinking long low sideboard with a speaker sitting on each end. I know not ideal I guess but speakers are only going to be 6 feet apart!
Like the adverts for KEF LS50.

They are often used like this, sitting on a console in studios. I have many customers using the smaller P3ESR like this and a few with the M30.1.

Graham Audio LS6/f

This Graham floorstander would seem to be aiming for the niche you want; BBC style in a small floorstander, ported at the bottom. Sound wise, I can only go by the Graham LS5/9, which I have, (more or less same size as Harbeth 30.1), not having heard the LS6/f. Love to hear from someone who has....

Spendor, Stirling and Graham don't sound like Harbeth, I don't understand why they are always mentioned when someone talks about a Harbeth speaker.
Even each Harbeth speaker sounds different.

Spendor, Stirling and Graham don't sound like Harbeth, I don't understand why they are always mentioned when someone talks about a Harbeth speaker.
Even each Harbeth speaker sounds different.
They get mentioned because they all share some DNA with the original BBC Loudspeaker Design Department’s design work back in the 1960s and 70s. Of course, the lines have diverged and they don’t all sound the same today, but the association of ideas still persists. I think they still have in common a design philosophy that concentrates on an unforced natural sounding midrange that suits acoustic instruments and the human voice at natural levels in preference to trying to squeeze as much bass as possible out of a relatively small box.

Maybe, but if someone talk about Dali speakers I wouldn't mention Dynaudio only because both use some rigid/stiff housings, or Odeon and Klipsch because both use horns.

Since I mentioned Sterling speakers, I'll reply. Alan Shaw has publicly said that the differences between some Harbeth models (specifically 30.1 and C7ES3) isn't worth spending to money to change between them, and anyone worrying about it may be better donating the difference to charity.

It's also frequently said on the heavily moderated Harbeth forum that all you really need to do is pick whichever Harbeth model is the right size for your room.

So you can disagree that different Harbeth models are similar if you like, but there are plenty of people who'd say that the similarities far outweigh any differences.

And with Sterling, Graham etc, they don't just share some design features, they're all explicitly refinements of the same designs. The OP was looking for recommendations, not for other things that sound exactly like 30.1s, and specifically mentioned Spendors. So mentioning the other brands is entirely relevant.

I own Harbeth M30.2s and Graham LS3/5s, and have owned the Graham LS5/9. The Harbeths and Grahams look similar and come from a similar heritage but sound nothing alike. The Graham LS 5/9s are more neutral, more extended at the frequency extremes and more open, but have a cooler tonal balance. Personally, I prefer the Harbeths, but I sold my LS5/9s to a friend who knows my Harbeths well and prefers - and in fact loves - the Grahams. The LS3/5s and 5/9s sound more like each other than they do to the Harbeths, and I would imagine the LS6f has a similar tonality. For someone who likes Harbeths, the Grahams are worth hearing, but are not necessarily an obvious choice to replace them.

So you can disagree that different Harbeth models are similar if you like, but there are plenty of people who'd say that the similarities far outweigh any differences.
Who are "the plenty of people"? I didn't heard or read even from one of them.

I have owned a HL Compact 7 (not 7ESR!), SHL5, SHL5+, SHL5+ 40th A.E. (and listened to the P3ESR) and if you compare the frequency response you will immediately see (and hear) that they don't sound the same.

Alan is a sales man with some very "unusual" statements for a guy who develops such great speakers (all ss amplifier sound the same, stands make no difference, etc.)

I'm not against Stirling, Graham or Spendor, it is only that IMHO they don't sound like Harbeth vice versa.

I also owned Spendor S6e, S8e and S9e in the past. The S6e could be good solution. The guy who sold me the speakers has also have had a tiny room, speakers close to the back wall and listening place also close to the wall behind. They are silk smooth but have less resolution and clarity compared to Harbeth IMO.

I never listened to the current Spendor floor stand speaker but if I remember right the TS has and didn't liked the A7 as much as the M30.1.

Maybe, but if someone talk about Dali speakers I wouldn't mention Dynaudio only because both use some rigid/stiff housings, or Odeon and Klipsch because both use horns.
It’s a bit more than that - Harbeth was founded by HL Harwood after he retired from the BBC Research Department, and was granted a patent based on his work on speakers at the BBC with the their consent. So there is a direct line of ancestry back to BBC designs, not just a superficial similarity in design.

Thanks again for all the suggestions, I think it was the tone of the Harbeths that I liked and the midrange was very sweet. I remember hearing the KEF reference at a hifi show and not liking them but when the demo guy lowered the volume from 100+db to probably 70db they sounded much better.
I have never been a particularly big fan of BBC sound style speakers, I always think the Ls3/5 types, while open sounding and detailed never have enough bass. I have heard some of the other BBC style speakers and some sound good but I never desired to own them probably because I never wanted standmounts!

I’ve had my Usher diamond Mini Dancer 1s for a couple of months now. I’m in love with this sound. I mainly listen to vinyl, and they make vinyl sound amazing. For some reason I’m not over-hearing all the wear and tear on the records like I used to with the KEFs. I now realise the KEFs and all other speakers I’ve had before have sounded overly harsh and shrill. These Ushers make the music sound perfect; warm; beguiling. Best upgrade I’ve made in a long time :)

Last edited:
I've just got some Devore Gibbon 88's and they are very impressive sounding and very good looking (for a speaker)

advertisement

Back