advertisement

The Beatles...only saying

You may only have albums on which every song/track is pure unadulterated gold, which induces only bliss when listened to. If so, I bet it's a pretty small collection.

Gary, it was intended as a jocular response, but I do believe that the White album only has a single album's worth a good material in it. You are of course, correct in saying that most albums have some dead material and I believe that has got worse with the advent of CD, where most record companies expect a whole CD's worth of material; in the old days, most of it would have ended up on the cutting room floor. I have quite a large collection as it happens, and no, not all of it induces pure unadulterated bliss! The classic albums though, are those in which all of the tracks are good, so in this respect, I would not judge the White album as being a classic.

Gary, it was intended as a jocular response, but I do believe that the White album only has a single album's worth a good material in it. You are of course, correct in saying that most albums have some dead material and I believe that has got worse with the advent of CD, where most record companies expect a whole CD's worth of material; in the old days, most of it would have ended up on the cutting room floor. I have quite a large collection as it happens, and no, not all of it induces pure unadulterated bliss! The classic albums though, are those in which all of the tracks are good, so in this respect, I would not judge the White album as being a classic.

I find it helps when trying to be jocular online if you put in some kind of indicator as tone is impossible to discern otherwise. I think TWA is a classic, and has grown in stature & influence over the years, as the accepted hierarchy of Fabs's albums has been revised continually (at one time SPLHCB was regarded as their best, then Revolver, then Abbey Road, now it appears its the turn of TWA). The genius of their music is that it is both of, and not of, their time, especially after the touring stopped.
Regarding classic albums where all the tracks are 'good', this is a subjective measure, so we may disagree on both what is a classic album, and what tracks are good. Care to give some examples? I would propose Todd Rundgren's A Wizard A True Star, Prefab Sprout's Jordan, The Comeback, and King Crimson's Red as albums where the overwhelming majority of tracks are IMO 'good', and the albums are classic.

The classic albums though, are those in which all of the tracks are good, so in this respect, I would not judge the White album as being a classic.

My theory is that The Beatles deliberately put one naff track on each album, and made Ringo sing it. But, quite apart from their albums, they recorded many singles on which the 'B' side was every bit as good as the 'A' side.

As for classic albums which are all killer, no filler, I can think of just two. 'Raw Power' by Iggy & The Stooges, and The New York Dolls' self-titled debut album.

Depends a bit on 'genre' or maybe 'sub genre', but I'd have thought in the 'all killer' stakes CSNs eponymous album, Joni M's Blue and many others fit the bill.

Wow, that is an unbelievably pessimistic view of the music scene.

Not really. Some are classics bar just one or two tracks. Maybe there's some jazz albums that would fit the definition, but I generally find I get bored about 15 minutes into a piece of jazz music.

As for classic albums which are all killer, no filler, I can think of just two. 'Raw Power' by Iggy & The Stooges, and The New York Dolls' self-titled debut album.

There’s also Beethoven’s 7th, Hejira and Metal Machine Music. And We’re Only In It For The Money, of course. (Beatles link.)

As for classic albums which are all killer, no filler, I can think of just two.

Aside from almost every Miles Davis album and almost every album recorded on Blue Note, Riverside, Impulse etc.

PS For rock and pop I’d go with Electric Warrior, What’s Going On, For Your Pleasure, just about every Kraftwerk album, both Joy Division albums, the first three Wire albums, in fact I could likely dig up quite a list. How about Music For Airports? All filler, yet simply wonderful and fully deserves to be on the list! Tons of great electronica etc too.

Only found 2 Miles Davis that fit this category for me, now given up the search and off elsewhere now.

Other suggestions for no filler albums, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, The Velvet Underground, Moondog and possibly Maxinquaye. Nearly all ground breaking records also.

Bloss

Both Ziggy and Hunky Dory, for me, are let down by the cover versions. When both albums are good, they are very good, but he had better songs not used at the time which could have easily replaced 'Fill Your Heart' and 'It's Not Easy'.

Both Ziggy and Hunky Dory, for me, are let down by the cover versions. When both albums are good, they are very good, but he had better songs not used at the time which could have easily replaced 'Fill Your Heart' and 'It's Not Easy'.

I already had the Tiny Tim album with 'fill your Heart', don't ask why, and did not realise. Still a no filler for me.

Bloss

But seriously now, does it really matter that an album has one or two "filler" tracks if there are, say, four to five "stand out" tracks (i.e. the tracks that you would put on your iThing playlist)?

I know a lot of people who feel the same way about the White Album, however few of them agree on which songs should have been culled.

Me, I'd axe "Ob La Di Ob La Da", "Rocky Raccoon", and "Honey Pie" for sure, and maybe "Martha My Dear" too, but find almost everything else essential. I don't skip tunes when I play an album, but if I did those would be the ones. I know other people who hate "Piggies", or "Bungalow Bill", or "Don't Pass Me By", and many who hate "Revolution #9". But since not everyone can agree with which tracks to kill, I think it's obvious that it was the right decision to keep them all.

I should have realised we have many Bowie fans on PFM.
I’m one of the few here that isn’t keen on him...

advertisement

Back