advertisement

Hi Fi news show Windsor 10th-11th nov

That video of the show is typical of the sort of awful music that they all seem to play. A single female vocal and one instrument behind her. It would be ok one song but it’s a whole show full of that stuff. Is this what the people who buy these really expensive music systems listen to at home? I wouldn’t mind but that recording would sound ok coming out of a Sonos speaker. Why can’t they have bands and different music. I long to hear some great music that I understand would be well recorded but not audiophile stuff. I think they get scared that if they played some real music that it would show up the system to be not that great. Anyway that’s my rant over!
I could not agree more...it is my biggest bugbear at audio shows. I remember at the recent Festival of Sound show listening to a usual audiophile female voice type demo by one manufacturer (who shall remain nameless) and it sounded fantastic. After much pestering (it wan't very busy!) I got them to play some Led Zep and the sound completely fell apart...the system just could not cope with it. Needless to say I lost interest in their products.

Agreed, most of the time the music played is not to my taste, but occasionally i find some new and interesting, often in the Naim rooms. Hugh Masakela’s “Hope”, and London Grammar’s first album are two that spring to mind; I bought the CDs following the shows.

Longdog Audio usually play some half decent rock during their demos. And many years ago I heard Focal Grande Uglies on the back end of 3 NAP500s playing Sweet Child in Time - now that was impressive..........

I have fond memories of a hifi show around 9-10 years ago. Might have been at heathrow and puresound valve amplifier room. Playing music Tom Waits step right up which is a great snappy tune. It sounded great and fast and they were playing a real mix of music. Very enjoyable I mistakenly thought valve amps were slow not after that day! But it does feel like an oasis in a desert when you find a room playing music at a hifi show.

Although about a year ago Touraj Moghaddam of Roksan fame had a room with I can't remember the kit but it was real hi end stuff. It was his hi end Vertere turntable and I think YG amps and big speakers( it was a £100,000 to £300,000 type system) and it was a sunday morning and one of the first rooms I walked into. It was relaxed and they played idle moments by Grant Green which I never had heard before. Amazing. Later he played a live recording of Queen from a boxed set. Im not a big Queen fan but it was like they were in the room and what a powerful band they were.
I kept popping back to that room as it was entertaining.

Visited for a few hours yesterday
I found Ken Kessler’s vinyl hour presentation the highlight of a pretty average show tbh.

Heard this track in two rooms; the Falcon LS3/5a and the Kii three BXT (these were placed right back into the corners of the room, which didn't seem right to me).

A very nice track called Liberty by Annete Ashvik (new to me).

For me the LS3/5a's were best. A lovely speaker.

The best sound IMO was the Wilson Sasha DAW system with the dCS Rossini setup and AR Valve monoblocks. I thought the demo was too short (always a good sign).
The Magico M6 system was below expectations, it may have been due to the front end not being up the level of the dCS.

Most of the rooms had sound that IMO was below par, but plenty of interesting kit to look at, including the new Technics turntable and lovely Luxman kit (made to last forever).

I hate to say it, but the Kef Muons with the Chord electronics were the worst, so harsh and screechy, I don't think they make a good match.

Plenty of people there on the Sunday, overall a good show.

Last edited:
I hate to say it, but the Kef Muons with the Chord electronics were the worst, so harsh and screechy, I don't think they make a good match.
Quite often bigger systems are worst. But I remember hearing a Chord amp/dac into Kef Reference Ones 2 or 3 years ago at the Bristol show and they sounded wonderful, simple system which worked. I've never liked the Kef Blade series though.

The Chester Group show in Leamington was free as well, plus all the free coffee you can drink. My palpitations are just responding to the Beta Blockers. There has not been too much that normal human beings, as opposed to Oligarchs and drug dealers, can afford either. So I won't be going again.

To answer the question about free tickets, yes Dealers do get some tickets. Trevor from Guilford Audio gave me one a few years ago and all it cost was £8000 for an Audio Research Ref 75 amp, a bargain.

I have fond memories of a hifi show around 9-10 years ago. Might have been at heathrow and puresound valve amplifier room. Playing music Tom Waits step right up which is a great snappy tune. It sounded great and fast and they were playing a real mix of music. Very enjoyable I mistakenly thought valve amps were slow not after that day! But it does feel like an oasis in a desert when you find a room playing music at a hifi show.

Although about a year ago Touraj Moghaddam of Roksan fame had a room with I can't remember the kit but it was real hi end stuff. It was his hi end Vertere turntable and I think YG amps and big speakers( it was a £100,000 to £300,000 type system) and it was a sunday morning and one of the first rooms I walked into. It was relaxed and they played idle moments by Grant Green which I never had heard before. Amazing. Later he played a live recording of Queen from a boxed set. Im not a big Queen fan but it was like they were in the room and what a powerful band they were.
I kept popping back to that room as it was entertaining.

Touraj/Vertere partnered FM Acoustics (amplifier / speakers) on some shows

Per flemming I'm sure you are right, I remember that it was two letters and I didn't take too much notice as it was such expensive gear I would never be buying it .

Kit Audio and the Falcon/Primare room.
The two best rooms at the show.

Here's the other one.....
[/MEDIA]

Yes that room was really special. Jerry is a really nice and engaging chap. One day I will buy a set. My Harbeth HLP3-ES with many, many different amps never sounded anywhere as good as those Falcon LS3/5a speakers driven by that Primare amp/streamer.

advertisement

Back