advertisement

Find me an LP12

It was only a suggestion(Rega etc). If I were in a position, with a budget etc, I’d want to try several options before settling on one.

But I that’s just me.

Having bought a basic old LP12 and ended up spending more on it then I originally inteneded (who hasn't),I would advise the following spec:

Steel top plate with corner bolt (swap this for something else and you no longer have an LP12)
Corner braced plinth
Cirkus bearing (make bl**dy sure that this is not pitted, as these are extremely easy to damage)
Linn Black oil
New belt
Any original Linn armboard
Fresh springs/ Gromits
Old (turned to plastic) feet
No baseboard
No lid
a Good Valhalla (There are 'better' PSUs, but the Valhalla just seems to be the most fun)
Thin felt mat (new)

If properly set up with an appropriate arm and cart the above will give you a very engaging presentation - don't try to chase more detail/ 3D/ air, you'll be wasting your time and money.

For the arm maybe find a good condition Akito, perhaps a Mission 774 or an Audiomods 4.

There you go,that's my view. There are many others :)

Thanks for the replies, I'm in no rush so will see what comes along. I've just got rid of a very nice TD125 that I may regret as when I set it up so the buyer could have a listen I ended up listening to it all night, it was certainly more engaging than my current deck for sure.

It’s an interesting conundrum. I was running 2 LP12’s until early this year. I sold my beautiful piano black deck which was Cirkus / Lingo 1 / Tramp 2 / Akito 3 / DV20X and how only run my totally original 1974 deck with original power supply / SME3009 series 2 improved / AT VM540 ML. By most objective measures the newer deck sounded ‘better’ but I’m now listening to more vinyl. The original deck is just such a fun listen, it’s hard to explain. I think you need to hear a decent pre-Cirkus deck because you may just love the sound.

Matt,

My LP12 isn’t original, but it used to be not far off.

I upgraded to cirkus, and at the same time picked up a Lingo 2. I then sold the Ittok and replaced it with a Nima.

Other than a recent change of DV cart, and a good service, I’ve not altered my LP12 for over 10 years.

However it does feed a Heed Quasar phono stage, which I am very fond of.

Anyway, you might like the sound of it when you pop round...

My ex has a Cirkus Afromosa Fluted LP12 with clear lid, Ittok and Lingo. She has not used it for a while and she asked me if I wanted to sell it on her behalf. Pm me if you want information, It is I’m London, Putney right now and I have not yet been down to take a look at it for her but it was put in its box by my with all packaging and spacers correctly placed between bearings, over outer platter, arm board secured and such.

I have put it off for ages because I loathe selling turntables on eBay

That should be an easy sell in W London. Plenty of people close enough to view and collect, and a very attractive spec.

Yes they are. I've never heard a Rega that made me want to get up and boogie. The LP12 does, every time. Now whether you want to get up and boogie to Maria Callas or a string quartet is up to you, so maybe the difference is a matter of musical taste.

Ochone laddie!,i owned a Rega Planar 3/RB250/Elys/10x5 and she shore loved to boogie!.

Not the most sophisticated record spinner i grant you,but had great fun nonetheless.

i eventually graduated to my present late 80's LP12 deck with upgraded setup.

Rega still manufacture some of the best turntables to suit various budgets :)

Rega still manufacture some of the best turntables to suit various budgets :)
Indeed they do, but I've had 3 and found them all a bit grey. First was a Rega 2/RB250 bought new in 1992, I spent 5 years convincing myself that it sounded better than CD (it didn't) and that the Linn K5 cartridge was an improvement on the original At110 (it wasn't). Then I bought an LP12 that was just streets ahead in every way. A while later I got a P3 with a Linn Basik on it, this wasn't a great match but it was fun for a while. More recently I got a P3/RB300/Elys, in a fantastic green hue, this was the best Rega I've had. It's still not close to an LP12 or my current Garrard (not much is in the latter case, to be fair, it's hardly a fair comparison). The Rega 3 is pretty good. It still doesn't make me want to listen to it all night. An LP12 does.

I think I should probably own one of these at some point even if it's just to say I've tried one.

You should , they're fun . I did a similar this a while back . If it's just to try don't get hung up on the spec/mods/upgrades , set your budget and find the cleanest/best example you can get for your money .

Play with it and enjoy it , should you decide its not for you good condition modest spec LP12's will not loose money .

Any unmolested LP12 that is simply bought and used, then resold, has appreciated every year without fail since about 1995. I've had 3 and made a profit on each one. Tell a lie, 4. The 4th I didn't use, I bought in at a dealer and sold it on here for a modest markup.

Had a brew and a nice listen to Andrew C!'s system earlier this afternoon, including his lovely LP12. Although an unfamiliar system and speakers it was still good to get a look and a listen and clear up some confusion I had over various parts/upgrades and their names.

More food for thought and what I should be looking for, so thanks to Andrew for that.

Based on ebay sold prices an Ittok will be around £600 and an early LP12 about the same though some go a fair bit lower than that. Often collection only so petrol costs would need to be included.

There is no way that deck is all from 1975. I bought my LP12 in 1985, and the logo at center of the lid said Linn LP12, or perhaps Sondek LP12. Anyway, that lid got shattered in transit in 1998 and I was disappointed to find just the word Linn on its replacement. I remember it feeling 'cheaper' and 'not as impressive'. That supposed 1975 lid says just Linn. Based on my experience (admittedly a single data point) I'd doubt the date of that deck. Seller doesn't show serial number either.

Stu

I got mine via this forum some years ago from a fellow PFMer and then contacted him again for a Lingo. Very helpful and came and did install and setup. I've had it serviced and a few minor upgrades since then elsewhere plus a new cartridge and still very happy with the sound as is.

No LP12s showing available currently but might be worth contacting with your wants and price range https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/krescendohifi

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back