advertisement

Old Mission speakers

I always thought they reached their zenith in the mid 1980s range that went 70II/700LE/707/737 Renaissance/770 Freedom/780 Argonaut. The 770F and 780A were a particular favourite of mine, and my dad lived happily with 707s for years. IMHO, the subsequent 760 - 765 may have looked similar but weren’t a patch on their predecessors.

As to their very best, it has to be the 767 - the loudspeakers that taught a young me what imaging was. I spent 20 years looking for a pair before giving up!

I always thought they reached their zenith in the mid 1980s range that went 70II/700LE/707/737 Renaissance/770 Freedom/780 Argonaut. The 770F and 780A were a particular favourite of mine, and my dad lived happily with 707s for years. IMHO, the subsequent 760 - 765 may have looked similar but weren’t a patch on their predecessors.

As to their very best, it has to be the 767 - the loudspeakers that taught a young me what imaging was. I spent 20 years looking for a pair before giving up!

Not exactly relevant, but I have often wondered why all their models started with a ‘7’.

Thank you. I've never heard any mission speakers so what is the "family sound" do they have?

The models I’ve mentioned above do tend to have a punchy and detailed sort of nature to them. The 737R can be a bit too explicit if you don’t partner it carefully and, yes, they err towards the brighter end of the balance scale but if the treble makes your ears bleed then you’re doing something wrong.

Look carefully at the measurements on the old review in that article and you can see a rolled off high treble and bass falling away before the port really stats coming in.
The mid/bass seems very well behaved.
The impedance curve shows a lack of cabinet nasties, which blighted my 752s

I ran 737-Rs for many years - they were the best speaker Lasky’s sold IMO, and as I worked for their service department, and they had a generous staff discount scheme for damaged goods, I ended up buying 3 pairs that somehow attained cabinet damage...luckily, all on the bottom plate so not visible in normal use :)

The 7 thing was Farad Azima's doing. Whether superstition or religion I don't know but all the 6 digit part of all the Cyrus reps' mobile numbers started with 777 too!

Must be the same idea as the Chinese do with car registration numbers, certain numbers good others bad

Mission 770 were 'Marmite' speakers. those who had them, loved them, but after an initial set of good reviews the reviewers turned against them for some reason.
I had them, and loved them.

advertisement

Back