advertisement

Jvc ax-1

yuckyamson

pfm Member
Hi,

I remember a few years back flatpopely and a few cronies were going on and on and on and .... On about a Jvc axz1010-&$%:']} ÷>] >{ amp and basically staying it could sock a DCs Rossini with Naim 552/500 into next week.

While I will be fully transparent and say that I didn't put too much stock in the claim I was willing to Believe that the amp punched well above its weight.

That being said an ax1 just became available nearby for cheap. If memory serves this amp,.below the ax3, was of a similar quality. Minus the dac. Can you guys who know this piece lend a hand? How does it stack up?

Best,

Glickman

The silver one with rows of green LEDs for vdu output metering.

A nice budget example of the JVC super A type amps. Good drive and dynamics for its class if a little short on overall resolution.

From the way people on here rave about the axz 1010 though, I would imagine that is in a league above the ax1.

Yes the jvc ax1 was my first amp I bought second hand in Brixton in 1984 for £30 and I still have it . As the others have said this is an ok amp but its no Naim beater. Ok for a background second system and the phono stage is weak.

From what I gathered, the early 80s equivalent of the AX-Z1010 would be the A-X9, but they seem to be very rare. The A-X9 was TOTL (like the 1010), the A-X1 BOTL.

From what I gathered, the early 80s equivalent of the AX-Z1010 would be the A-X9, but they seem to be very rare. The A-X9 was TOTL (like the 1010), the A-X1 BOTL.

Beware 80's Japanese amp manufacturers bearing acronyms which when translated mean "the same as every other amplifier". About on a par with a car company using "EPNP" for "engine powered, no peddling".
Some SS Mcintosh amps aren't "BOTL" or "TOTL"!:eek::rolleyes:

just to agree with the above - The AX 1010 was part of the top the range titan series so not a budget amp. I believe they sold for about £800 so very expensive for the time...
Cheers Dave
PS I have one and it has stomped all over my fully RSL'd Naim 75 /140 and Hi cap with TPRX4

A lot of 1970s and 80s Japanese amplifiers were not given a fair hearing in the UK hi fi press at the time as they were all caught up in the Linn/ Naim frenzy, and things like tone controls were considered the devils work, and the word digital would cause may to run and hide behind the sofa. It was a time when the listening test was king, and I remember going to audition the newly arrived A&R A60 that I had saved up for. I managed to find a dealer that had the A60 and would demonstrate it with the speakers I was saving up for at the time, Rogers LS3/5a, along with the more usual Japanese brands like Pioneer, Trio, and the like. Moving on from a (modified) Amstrad amplifier, everything sounded great, but one amplifier stood out with much better clarity and bass control. I assumed that I had chosen the A60, but in fact I was listening to a Pioneer 6500, which was slightly more expensive, but within budget, so, after a bit of soul searching, and a second listening session, I bought the Pioneer. Two years later i regretted it, as it went wrong, and no-one could get the components to repair it, so I bought the cheapest amp the shop had to get me back on the road which was a Leak Stereo 20 with matching Varislope preamp!

I think we missed some excellent stuff because of our narrow minded attitudes.

I used to have a pioneer sa 708 big blue meters ,tone controls etc , the sound organisation had just opened and we went to have a look round and the chap was rather scathing of jap amps and we challenged him to prove that British was best . Anyway we returned a few weeks later with my amp ,first he put on a nytech then my amp and was a bit red faced when mine clearly sounded better .He then tried 3 or 4 other amps and then mine which again my amp beat and he had to admit defeat !
Everyone in the " know " was saying jap is crap and we were brainwashed into hair shirt British amps , perhaps profit margins were better !

advertisement

Back