advertisement

Hi Fi news show Windsor 10th-11th nov

hifinutt

hifinutt
Getting close now to the Windsor show , anyone going . ?

i believe amongst other beauties they will have the Magico M6 playing there

this is some of the blurb

Manufacturers' representatives from all over the world will be there to support us: Dave Gordon from Audio Research, Raveen Bawa from dCS, Jozefina Lichtenegger from E.A.T., Peter McGrath from Wilson Audio, Peter Mackay from Magico, Jean Marie Clauzel from Metronome Technologie and Irv Gross from Constellation Audio, and the whole Absolute Sounds team will be on hand.

https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/the-hi-fi-show-live-2018-tickets-39171597302

I was supposed to be going, but my wife is dragging me elsewhere which is annoying.

Would have been interested to hear the Magico's because every other pair I have heard I though sounded atrocious.

That video of the show is typical of the sort of awful music that they all seem to play. A single female vocal and one instrument behind her. It would be ok one song but it’s a whole show full of that stuff. Is this what the people who buy these really expensive music systems listen to at home? I wouldn’t mind but that recording would sound ok coming out of a Sonos speaker. Why can’t they have bands and different music. I long to hear some great music that I understand would be well recorded but not audiophile stuff. I think they get scared that if they played some real music that it would show up the system to be not that great. Anyway that’s my rant over!

Padood (Nagra / YG) was highlight last year. Magico / Constellation was ok, Wilson / D'Agostino / dCS was dreadful - ear-bleeding stuff.

Padood (Nagra / YG) was highlight last year. Magico / Constellation was ok, Wilson / D'Agostino / dCS was dreadful - ear-bleeding stuff.

We didn't enjoy the Absolute Sounds rooms either, all hifi but no music. For us the highlight was in the Padood room, Boulder amp with YG Carmel's. Having been for the past two years giving it a miss this time around.

That video of the show is typical of the sort of awful music that they all seem to play. A single female vocal and one instrument behind her. It would be ok one song but it’s a whole show full of that stuff. Is this what the people who buy these really expensive music systems listen to at home? I wouldn’t mind but that recording would sound ok coming out of a Sonos speaker. Why can’t they have bands and different music. I long to hear some great music that I understand would be well recorded but not audiophile stuff. I think they get scared that if they played some real music that it would show up the system to be not that great. Anyway that’s my rant over!

I've been to lots of shows.
Over that time I have noticed that the better sounding rooms seem to be correlated with the rooms playing the greatest variety of music...

I find the Absolute Sounds generally are all about the Hifi and never about the music.

A couple of years ago they played Hey Now by London Grammar. It took them until about half way through the track to realise the balance was entirely round towards the left speaker so there was no sound coming out of the right speaker. This was on a Constellation/Magico system.

What was worse was that once they sorted out the balance, the sound was atrocious. One of the worst sounding systems I have ever heard, and that was agreed by a number of people we spoke with afterward. Very, bright and shrill, dull and boring sound and just sounded broken and as above all Hifi, no musical quality whatsoever. It was such a shame because Hey Now by London Grammar can sound glorious.

Combined value of that system was well above £100,000, and my PC speaker system could do a better job and cost less than £100, and is seriously more musical.

I struggle to understand how these types of companies can get it so, so wrong. You speak to them and they tell you all of the wonderful technology, engineering skills and measurements, and think they forget that ultimately that a system is to play music.

maybe but the m6 cost 200k and not cheap to put on such a small show . most folks would have got the discounted price from being subscibers

Unfortunately I’m not a subscriber
Anybody not going care to let me use their membership number to but a couple of tickets for Sunday ?
I’ll be coming into London for the memorial Service at the cenotaph in the morning anyway.

According to HiFi News Magazine, the entrance price is £20, or £30 for the 2 days. However, I did notice advance fast entry tickets were £20 + a £2.15 admin fee. Can't see why the extra £2.15 would be worth paying because it is not like you will be queueing up in the thousands to get in...

advertisement

Back