advertisement

Barry Adamson

That looks like a nice selection, I loved his bass playing with Magazine and have three or four of his solo albums, probably the best being Oedipus Schmoedipus, but that looks like a decent punt.

Most of his stuff is pretty much top drawer, but nothing really like his Bad Seed or Magazine stuff. Quite cinematic and funky. This new release is a good starting point for an intro into his work.

Playing tonight at the Union Chapel in Islington. Should be good

Adamson's solo albums are for the most part really engaging and adventurous. He has also done a number of soundtracks. For example he composed the score for David Lynch's Lost Highway movie with Angelo Badalamenti.

Looks like a great anthology to me.

Jack

His work on Magazine’s albums is fantastic. The simplicity of that opening to The Light Pours Out of Me.

I love his work with Magazine, Correct Use Of Soap album in particular has some amazing bass lines.

Not long back from seeing him tonight at the Union Chapel - absolutely superb. Saw him at the Moth Club last year completely solo and it was one of the most entertaining gigs I'd been to in years. Full band with strings and horns tonight - they were hot! Amazing drummer.

I agree that Moss Side Story is excellent, as is Delusion which has a great cover of These Boots Are Made For Walking. The two or three releases after that are pretty good too, but after around 2000 his output seems less inspired.

Great feature on Moss Side Story from Snub TV.

Fantastic record - my copy got 'borrowed' years ago and I've been thinking I'd like to get it again..

007 a fantasy Bond theme is a belter... ska meets John Barry

Barry is a proper legend, he pops up all over the place and adds a layer greatness whenever he does.

As Above, So Below is worth picking up as well.

I just bought and downloaded the "Memento Mori" album from Qobuz. I am listening to it and I like it. So thanks for this thread!
I own the Magazine Album "The Correct Use of Soap" so it is not very surprising that Adamson would tick a lot of boxes. I will put "So below" on the purchase list, for sure.

advertisement

Back