advertisement

Wrist watch lovers?

So close to pulling the trigger...

17630565_1_640.jpg

So close to pulling the trigger...

17630565_1_640.jpg

I've no idea why you haven't crumbled and bought this already, John - it's a classy watch of the first order! If I had the pennies I'd buy a JLC like this one myself (my imagination tells me I'd go for the silver dial but for the time being my imagination is moot as I simply don't have the pennies). If you pull the trigger you've got to show us a wrist shot so we can see the JLC on the JTC :)

Reactions: JTC
TBH I put plans on ice until I found a new job, but I did (start a week tomorrow) and I’m just deliberating. JLC are top-notch but tbh I would prefer a mint used example to save a few bob. So, just in a holding pattern until I find a used one

TBH I put plans on ice until I found a new job, but I did (start a week tomorrow) and I’m just deliberating. JLC are top-notch but tbh I would prefer a mint used example to save a few bob. So, just in a holding pattern until I find a used one

Purchase pending - roger ;)

Personally I’d go with the Master Ultra Thin Date, it’s so beautifully minimalist. I’m not a fan of moonphase dials. Buts it’s still a beauty and ymmv.

In a former life, I had a truly beautiful Reverso; a two-faced, dual date model. It was simply exquisite to wear, look at and adjust. I bought it at a difficult time in my life and sold it when I didn't want the memory any more and had recovered. I would have one again without a moment's hesitation as they are a simply beautiful wristwatch.

Personally I’d go with the Master Ultra Thin Date, it’s so beautifully minimalist. I’m not a fan of moonphase dials. Buts it’s still a beauty and ymmv.

The moonphase does clutter the dial and is of little use but it has been tied with horology forever, also a beautifully simple complication, just a 59 tooth wheel. Here's mine, which I got for my 40th. I love it.

y4m3fTac5fH69BI4XmifXNapFCr_Smen3mkDMy2ovfilgAUHN4C0bNAc7pH05YiEbIdGSE_n5JKlZLVa1ZDedMeedjlAFX2wplyYotF0hp-uNyS3fZGeEB-7QHWOn7ZRedwkSTaAXUvLvjx093SmbzN7t2T2ijfi31WXcPX4mrg4shqbApDKV6F7NZUEELz5nfYKvEYyvKEzoinHj8j8Yv87A
s!Av3nCXwLsFDCmvEkgfzEf8cn1p-J-A

I like moon phase watches. Especially the Junghans Meister Kalendar. Cheaper than the JLC too!

If I were a rich man (duba-duba-duba-duba-duba-dum), I'd have this one:

https://www.jaeger-lecoultre.com/ch/en/watches/master/master-ultra-thin-perpetual/130842J.html

Always wanted a perpetual calendar, but they're 'way out of my price bracket.
I know the feeling. But my brother in law has a perpetual calendar (lovely Patek, nothing but the best for him:rolleyes: ) and even he admits unless you are prepared to wear it all the time or faff about keeping it on an autowinder, it’s a pita resetting all the calendar details if you let it run down.

I passed a couple of jewelry shops earlier today and it looks like the big dial thing is still big business - at least if the amount of large-dial watches in the windows are anything to by. I know some watches are supposed to a bit larger but there were lots and lots of large dial watches that seemed to be on the large side simply because that's the fashion... a fashion, I'm pleased to say, I won't be following anytime soon!

Looking to get a Datejust 41, plain bezel oyster strap, the problem is I cant decide between blue face or silver

Fwiw I think whilst blue faced watches can be fairly stylish, not sure I'd want to have one as my daily. On that basis - silver for me :)
Is a white face an option btw ?

I passed a couple of jewelry shops earlier today and it looks like the big dial thing is still big business - at least if the amount of large-dial watches in the windows are anything to by. I know some watches are supposed to a bit larger but there were lots and lots of large dial watches that seemed to be on the large side simply because that's the fashion... a fashion, I'm pleased to say, I won't be following anytime soon!
I agree, the daft thing is that the art of the watch maker was always aimed at miniaturising the complexity of a mechanical time piece movement,they succeeded brilliantly, so know what you have now is often a huge blingy watch case, with a movement that would obviously fit in one 1/2 the size when you look inside.

I agree, the daft thing is that the art of the watch maker was always aimed at miniaturising the complexity of a mechanical time piece movement,they succeeded brilliantly, so know what you have now is often a huge blingy watch case, with a movement that would obviously fit in one 1/2 the size when you look inside.
And not just the diameter - the depth of the case is something to consider, too. One of the things attracting me to that JLC (whether I end up with the Ultra Thin Date or the Moon Phase) is that they're very slim cases, ideal for wearing under a shirt cuff. The (non-date) Sub manages this, but I do find that the Milgauss is sometimes a tad too bulky to sit happily under a cuff.

And not just the diameter - the depth of the case is something to consider, too. One of the things attracting me to that JLC (whether I end up with the Ultra Thin Date or the Moon Phase) is that they're very slim cases, ideal for wearing under a shirt cuff. The (non-date) Sub manages this, but I do find that the Milgauss is sometimes a tad too bulky to sit happily under a cuff.
I would love a gold version of the ultra thin with black leather strap to wear under a double cuff dress shirt when I wear a dinner jacket, but as that's only 2 or 3 times a year tops nowadays, its definitely not an economic proposition, sadly:(

At the other end of the price scale, a Swiss solar watch:

https://www.rega.ch/en/shop/special-offers.aspx

Rega is the Swiss air ambulance service. As well as helicopter rescue services in the mountains, it operates a small fleet of executive jets fitted out as hospital aircraft, ready to fly anywhere in the world to pick up subscribers to the service (annual family membership, CHF60). It does not make turntables, so far as I know. (Why "Rega"?

Until 1979, Swiss Air-Rescue's official name in German was "Schweizerische Rettungsflugwacht", or SRFW for short, in French "Garde Aérienne Suisse de Sauvetage" (GASS) and in Italian "Guardia Aerea Svizzera di Soccorso" (also GASS). However, these names were rather long-winded and had different acronyms. This unsatisfactory situation was solved by adopting the term which until then had served as its radio code name, composed of elements from all three language versions: REGA, made up of "RE" from "REttungsflugwacht" and "GA" from "Garde Aérienne" and "Guardia Aerea".)

Received the Oris today. Very pleased. A few pics, unfortunately the lovely blue of the dial surround doesn't show up well in artificial lighting;

Congrats. Still like mine, wearing it most days and find that it is very hard wearing - I've clattered it a few times and the crystal has shunned any damage or marks (this is why I don't tend to wear my vintage Rolexes etc very often as I have learned through experience that they are nowhere near as resilient to minor knocks).

advertisement

Back