advertisement

Lime pickle. I used to love the stuff. :(

Nimbu Ka Achaar: An Indian Lime Pickle Recipe that's easy to make and good for for your gut microbiome. It adds a spicy-hot, salty-sour kick to food.

Author: Steve
Recipe type: Preserves
Cuisine: Indian
INGREDIENTS
  • 5 - 7 Limes (whatever fits in a quart jar)
  • 2 Tablespoons Turmeric Powder
  • 1 Tablespoon Paprika
  • 1 Tablespoon Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano Chili, chopped
  • 1 Cup Kosher Salt
  • 1 Tablespoon Mustard Seeds
  • 1 Teaspoon Cumin Seeds
  • 4 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • 1 Tablespoon Cayenne
http://www.slowburningpassion.com/indian-lime-pickle-recipe-makes-microbiota-happy/
Kosher salt??

Did the recipe have vinegar in the past and they swapped out for citirc acid? it maybe another acid,
That would dramatically change the flavour. Vinegar is acetic acid made by brewing, citric tastes totally different. (Lemons)

Many chipshops have dropped vinegar for whatever the stuff is called.
I find it a bit overwelming, vinegar has more rounded flavor.
Yes indeed, "non brewed condiment". This is acetic acid solution from industrial sources. As the name says, it is not brewed. Vinegar must be brewed, using a bacterium called Acetobacter.
I worked in a vinegar brewery in 2016, fascinating place. They managed to brew spirit vinegar up to 20% acetic acid, starting with nutrients, water and food grade alcohol. Yes, really. The bacteria stayed (just) alive. That stuff was evil, the concrete around the loading bay was dissolved by it and whenever you opened the connections to fill a lorry the guys operating the fill would be coughing and choking, eyes streaming. The rest of it was standard issue 4% or 5% malt vinegar, which isn't so unpleasant. I've been in the Sarson's brewery too, in Middleton. Great fun, they have wooden barrels going back to Year Dot used for brewing.

Yes, it's a thing. The local rabbis make a great living out of showing up to pass foods as kosher, upwards of £300 for a day visit and a rubber stamp. It's not just about pork free etc but sanitary manufacturing conditions. The rabbis do *occasionally* walk around the factory.
I thought kosher salt, in the US was salt that has not had iodine added to it?

I thought kosher salt, in the US was salt that has not had iodine added to it?

it is and lacking other additives. Salt that is Kosher would be referred Kosher Certified Salt or Certified Kosher Salt.

I've been in the Sarson's brewery too, in Middleton. Great fun, they have wooden barrels going back to Year Dot used for brewing.

Brought up in Middleton and went to school near the Sarson's factory. Certainly remember the smell but never visited sadly.

I don't think I've ever had jarred lime pickle, just the ones made in house at my favorite Indian restaurants. My favorite condiment there, that and the mint chutney.

I don't think I've ever had jarred lime pickle, just the ones made in house at my favorite Indian restaurants. My favorite condiment there, that and the mint chutney.

my local uses jarred lime pickle bought in bulk from a wholesale outlet. Mo, my mate who is the owner does make mean mint yoghurt raita. Interestingly his secret is dried and not fresh mint.

Yes, it's a thing. The local rabbis make a great living out of showing up to pass foods as kosher, upwards of £300 for a day visit and a rubber stamp. It's not just about pork free etc but sanitary manufacturing conditions. The rabbis do *occasionally* walk around the factory.

Yup we have random visits from Rabbi and Halal inspections too. why is that these guys never wash? It is, in my view, a scam. Even different Rabbis do not agree amongst themselves sometimes! But customers expect it so we roll along and the cost gets included somewhere is our accounts. I am told at least one multi-national (and a major customer to us) refuses to play the game and if their customers demand Kosher certificate they are told to sort it out themselves. It may be urban myth

advertisement

Back