advertisement

Avondale Voyager Protection Circuit and REL Studio III

Paddy

pfm Member
Hi I’m having a strange issue with one of my mono-block Voyager amps. I have the mono-blocks connected to a Grad 1 preamp and am using a DSpeaker Anti-Node 2.0 to have a go at room correction. I ran the DSpeaker set up and was very encouraged by the effect it was having in flattening the response of the system in my room.

Here is where things got a little strange. I have a REL studio III which I then planned to have a go with. The sub is connected via a speakon connector to the sub and then one cable runs to the RH channel of one mono-block and the other to the LH channel of the other monoblock.

I switched on the sub and immediately the RH Voyager cut out. When I looked, the REL was not connected to the amp, only to the LH one.

So in my simple mind, switching on the REL sent something from one voyager to the other via the pre-amp which knocked it out.

Switched the amp off for a period and then back on and all is well. There must be some sort of protection circuit in there that was tripped but, can I connect up the REL with everything off and switch back on with any confidence or do I need some further investigation first?

Thanks for looking and in advance for any advice

Regards

Chris

You are using hi level speakon input at sub ? Should be a 3 wire connection. Red wire to one speaker / amp hi. Yellow to the other. And black to any of the amps black / -ve. Ensure speakers connected to amp correctly. Not reversed. Or you could then inadvertently ground an amps +ve when connecting sub black wire. Sounds like what has happened ? Ive done this before but amp had no protection cut off. Disaster !

Hi mbu, thank very much for the input, i will check all connections later and let you know. Have had the sub for many years but, only recently decided to put it back into the system since i have now moved out of my top floor flat!

The speaker outputs (on mine) are mirrored, make sure you can see whats going on.

As has been said, 3 wires to the sub, if memory is correct, 2 positives and one earth.

I'd be inclined to use a low level output , Y adapter from the pre?

I think it works :). As I say, the second the sub was switched on the amp cut out (even though the sub was not connected to it other than through the pre-amp). It was fine when i switched it on after leaving it off for 10 minutes so i guess whatever was watching over it was not a fuse.

I'm going to check all cabling and have another go this evening as i would love to hear what this DSpeaker thing does when i have the REL in the system as well (NS1000 speakers)

Thanks again all

Chris

Hi Sq,

Sorry if I wasn't clear, its just the one (two of these things would take up some room to say the least). It's the one you saw in my flat when you came round. Had the REL's amp fixed locally, so have been trying to get it dialled in since I moved to a more suitable location where I could use it again.

Got it working tonight using some banana plugs rather than trapping the wires under the spades of my speaker cable. Now it seems fine and I just ran a calibration on the Dspeaker thing so I'm off and running!

Paradise is sweet as a nut and the whole rig is sounding pretty damn good, just need the place to myself for a while so I can crank it up some. Would love to get your thoughts if you're ever in this neck of the woods, beer or tea available.

Regards

I might make a trip down at some point. Be good to catch up and measure her up. Could do you external loading plug mod as well if you're doesnt have it.

Always welcome. I did have the mod but, not tested it due to lack of understanding of what to do.

Paddy, your system is a little like my own in that I too have monoblock power amps - not the same ones you have but also not entirely different. I also use a Paradise, NS-1000Ms and a REL Stadium sub. I also use some DSP correction in the lower frequencies. Enjoy :).

(My sub is fed as you intend, from the output of the power amps - works very well)

Thanks SQ, Currently a Supex SD900, will message you.

Hi Ynwoan, Similar but I thought you have some active control of the base where i'm using a Anti-Node as i have no experience in electronics, other than in how to wire it up, which sometimes defeats me.

Anyway, all up and running now. Getting used to not hearing the room which has changed the sound quiet dramatically. I like what i hear but am in the foothills of fettling with it i suspect!

Thanks to all

Chris

Sorry, yes, I paraphrased a bit (perhaps a bit too much); as you say, I have active control of the speakers bass drivers.

When you say you are using ‘Anti-Node’, are you using this?

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/anti-mode-8033.shtml

a_1f7d200a52.jpg

Ah, have just read your original post again and see you have this:

http://www.dspeaker.com/en/products/20-dual-core.shtml

d_e0cea1993d.jpg

A very interesting and flexible bit of kit it is too. If I may make a couple of suggestions...

Firstly, I would remove the Grad 1 pre from the circuit and use the DSP as your pre-amp. The entire signal has to go through it anyway so there are only gains to be had removing a second, unnecessary, pre-amp from the system.

Secondly, although I would normally recommend running a Rel sub from the power amp outputs I don’t think I would in this case. I wonder (question) how effective the DSP would be at trying to correct the output of the sub via the main power amps and then via another amp and crossover in the sub which is in series with the main power amps. It would certainly have a much easier job if the sub were to be connected to the DSP directly (assuming your sub allows low level input?).
——————
As you said earlier, I only run DSP (not the same unit you use) on the bass drivers of my speakers and these are also actively connected.
——————
Sorry, you corrected me whilst I was typing the above :).

I have a different setup than the both of you, with a pair of smaller Strata Vs, and the DSP functions are inside my Linn streamer, which is a pre-amp is well.
This works very well. All relevant room modes have been taken care off, and bass is very deep and powerful, as you'd expect.

I use the High Level connector, but only 2 wires are connected, as each of the subs is paired with one of my standmounts.

Thank Ynwoan,

I basically, in my excitement just threw the DSpeaker in between the pre and the mono-blocks to get up and running to see what effect the correction would have as quickly as possible. I do plan to use the DSpeaker as the preamp (without the grad 1) at some point to see what effect that has but, as far as connecting the sub, I think I'm scuppered as the only outputs from the DSpeaker are going to the mono-blocks. I of course haven't read the manual yet but, I don't think you can use both the balanced out and the RCA out at the same time

Deep and powerful isn’t hard to achieve Tin :), if I turn my Rel up it can easily produce bass power that feels like it is taking the room to pieces :). It’s flat FR and controlled that is more difficult ;).

advertisement

Back