advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111010)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are wishing for goals in your hobby then football may prove a more reliable provider. :D

You only have to wait 1min 18 sec. here :)

A decent PM understands the project goals at the start and then works with those involved to deliver them...I've worked with a fair few.

If the PM's goals aren't those of the project then either;

They've understood the goals, but choose to deliver something else...

Or the goals they've (mis)understood aren't the actual project goals...

Or the goals have subsequently changed...

Re updates my view is all comms should be via PFM. I've had no interest in FB for years and as well as agreeing with the other reasons stated, mail updates will remove ad revenue of our visits to PFM. Tony has said in the distant past, that this thread drove the most traffic to PFM. I doubt thats still true, but every little helps. I'd like to think that between them, John and Tony can agree an approach that suits all concerned.

Well put #27. Mikas (from #10. LarsS),

I agree in what you write.
I'm usually a bit more blunt than you, maybe cause I'm not native in your language.
JohnW excusing presence here cause of trolling is simply not true. There's no trolling going on from outsiders, mainly disappointed funders requesting information on when return on investment will happen.

You got me there for a second with the #numbers. :)
Portuguese is my first language (The name "Michael" is just because I was born and registered in Canada. But I do live in Portugal since I was one year old).

Whenever visiting this thread I can't stop wondering why JohnW refused my free of charge offering 2013 to PM the MDAC2 project.

If I remember correctly, the reason John refused your offer was that he wanted no pressure and no timelines to be able to come up with the best possible design. I also believe your offer came up after several signs (delays) John was getting side tracked. It was a pity John didn't took it.

It's funny that I used to come here more often on a daily base than I did during the last full year.

Michael

Last edited:
There's no trolling going on from outsiders
If it is not trolling then what is it?
As far as I know mr. K & mr. H has no horse in this race but they have kept on putting gasoline on the fire along with a few others.
H. has even called me naive which does not bother me, but really is not OK!

Off cause a former PM think that a PM is what is needed, but with a PM we would just have gotten something equivalent to a a MDAC+ ;)
Do not think that is what we want? at least not me.

Am I Mr. K? :) If so I'm not intending pouring gasoline on anything,just checking if any of the guys have received any good news yet. It's been rather quiet. Only fair they get what they paid for isn't it? I'm sure we'd be up in arms if a fellow PFM'r had paid for something on Ebay and not had the goods sent out.

If it is not trolling then what is it?
As far as I know mr. K & mr. H has no horse in this race but they have kept on putting gasoline on the fire along with a few others.
H. has even called me naive which does not bother me, but really is not OK!

Off cause a former PM think that a PM is what is needed, but with a PM we would just have gotten something equivalent to a a MDAC+ ;)
Do not think that is what we want? at least not me.

A PM just should not be needed for a project like this, I am sure John is keenly aware that just about everyone thinks he had enough time to deliver something that is better than an MDAC+ and will have an MDAC2 rev 1 board working well before Christmas this year.

Am I Mr. K? :) If so I'm not intending pouring gasoline on anything,just checking if any of the guys have received any good news yet. It's been rather quiet. Only fair they get what they paid for isn't it? I'm sure we'd be up in arms if a fellow PFM'r had paid for something on Ebay and not had the goods sent out.
Have you a financial investment in any of John’s projects ?

Have you a financial investment in any of John’s projects ?

It's odd that this should need to be spelled out, but clearly that's the test.

I'm sure psychologists would be fascinated by the non-stakeholder interest in this thread. Some of it seems to verge on voyeuristic.

It's odd that this should need to be spelled out, but clearly that's the test.

I'm sure psychologists would be fascinated by the non-stakeholder interest in this thread. Some of it seems to verge on voyeuristic.

Rubber-neckers morbidly enjoying the fact that they’re not involved. Perversely they’ll end up wishing they had been. Not that they’d ever admit it.

It could just be concern for community peers. This is a community after all and they have no bias from investment so you could consider their view to be neutral. I don’t see trolling, but there you go. Tony has moderated, so probably the best thing to do is trust he will continue to do the right thing as he sees it and carry on.

From my POV no PM at the start of the project was something I agreed with but hindsight is 20/20 and this project is agile, so a PM would have worked to understand velocity delivering to each sprint and we would be properly appraised. That would be the difference.

Rubber-neckers morbidly enjoying the fact that they’re not involved. Perversely they’ll end up wishing they had been. Not that they’d ever admit it.
To be fair you can still buy in and become "involved". I'm sure many are waiting and watching for tangible progress before they do.

To be fair you can still buy in and become "involved". I'm sure many are waiting and watching for tangible progress before they do.

Correct. The Lakewest website is still open and taking orders, so why shouldn’t there be open, public debate about the project and a public record of what has been offered and what has been delivered.

It could just be concern for community peers. This is a community after all and they have no bias from investment so you could consider their view to be neutral. I don’t see trolling, but there you go.

Thank you. Nailed 100%.

A PM just should not be needed for a project like this, I am sure John is keenly aware that just about everyone thinks he had enough time to deliver something that is better than an MDAC+ and will have an MDAC2 rev 1 board working well before Christmas this year.
I wish I shared your optimism. We're now in the last week of October and once the design is complete there will need to be etch, stencils and parts ordered and the placement machine will have to be programmed. I just can't see this being done this side of Christmas and that will be for the first pass design. Boards will then probably have to be re-spun at least once to resolve issues. With the best will in the world it'll be well into next year before a shippable MDAC2 sees the light of day. I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it being any quicker given lead times for etch, stencils and parts.

With the best will in the world it'll be well into next year before a shippable MDAC2 sees the light of day. I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it being any quicker given lead times for etch, stencils and parts.

With where we are now, I believe sometime next Autumn is likely.

Spot on, and I'm one of these people. I nearly hit the button on a couple of products in the past but a lack of confidence in proposed delivery dates stopped me. I read progress here in the hope I might buy a world-class item in the future.

CHE

I wish I shared your optimism. We're now in the last week of October and once the design is complete there will need to be etch, stencils and parts ordered and the placement machine will have to be programmed. I just can't see this being done this side of Christmas and that will be for the first pass design. Boards will then probably have to be re-spun at least once to resolve issues. With the best will in the world it'll be well into next year before a shippable MDAC2 sees the light of day. I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it being any quicker given lead times for etch, stencils and parts.

It shouldn't take more than a week from sending out to receiving boards and stencils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back