advertisement

Electric toothbrush decision0-150

Rodrat

pfm Member
Do I go for a Philips Sonicare or Oral B? I only have half my teeth left and do suffer from gum bleed which I think is mainly down to over enthusiatic brushing. happy to pay £100 -150 if necessary. I don’t need bluetooth or app stuff.

I’ve been very happy with Oral B for many years now. Just way, way better than manually brushing. I have this one and would happily recommend it. If you have bleeding gum issues talk to your dentist, it is not something to overlook!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
My dentist recommended the cheapest model of the Philips Sonicare range. I have no basis for comparison, but I've been happy with it.

we are on our second OralB first lasted about 5 years until the motor or gears started to fail and the brush got weaker. Our second one has lasted about 6 years so far.

I always buy Oral B when on sale (frequently are). Choose the highest rpm your wallet will stand. We have about 6 units on rotation in our household of 4 or 5. Every couple of years we have to pension off 2 and replace them.

Healthy gums should withstand any amount of electric brushing - so you must get them checked out and cleaned. Gums are a reservoir of potential infection that can cause all sorts of sometime low lying issues. When they are gone you suddenly notice how much better you feel - certainly better than changing your mains cable!

I’ve had both and they’re equally good I reckon. I think the Oral B is about a quarter of the price of a Sonicare, so I’d go with that. They last too, mine is at least 6 years old and still going strong.

Oral B here. I have crowns and a couple of implants, and my dentist and hygienist both seem happy with how I am looking after my teeth. No fancy features, but it does flash if you press too hard. Oral B have far too many models in the range, it’s quite baffling, but I have I think the model Pro 3000 about £45 on Amazon which is as much as you need to pay for a good basic model.

I use the basic round brush and make sure I have a stock of spares. I usually change the brush monthly.

The trick is to not press very hard at all but just move from tooth to tooth pausing and letting the brush do the work. Angle up (or down) about 45 degrees to make sure you sweep along the gum line nicely.

A.

Hmm, I got through 2 oral b electrics in 5 years, last one barely lasted 2. The price of new heads is a bit of a rip off imho but I can't deny that they're effective.
For bleeding gums I think you should concentrate more on flossing.

I have used both and they are like two different religions. They both work but they do it in different ways. The Sonic approach seems to be less abrasive but their brush heads are expensive. The Oral B seems more aggressive but are cheaper to run. Whichever you go for, I would get an Airfloss - blasts a jet of water between your teeth and clears the debris out. My Dentist recommended Airfloss first then brush and don't rinse - this leaves the toothpaste and all its active ingredients in your mouth longer.

One that cost me £14.99 at Lidl four years ago has got me through my check-ups since without alarm.

The price of new heads is a bit of a rip off

I'd love one for what I have left of my gnashers, but it's the price of the brushes which deters me, as I'd go though one a week, as I do my ordinary brushes. Is there a way to buy in bulk cheaply, maybe ?

I bought an oral B after 4-5 years of a Philips Sonic. I had a thirty day trial but sent it back after a few days, it felt and sounded agricultural compared to the Philips, but the reason I didn’t take to it was the deapth of the brush head, I didn’t find it as that easy to access my back teeth on the cheek side of the tooth.

I'd love one for what I have left of my gnashers, but it's the price of the brushes which deters me, as I'd go though one a week, as I do my ordinary brushes. Is there a way to buy in bulk cheaply, maybe ?
If you need a new brush every week, no wonder your gums are bleeding. Monthly should be amply sufficient. You don’t need to push hard with an electric, for the lower teeth no more than the weight of the tooth brush is required.

I have a standing order with Amazon for replacement brushes. Two or three 4 packs a year tops.

I use the little teepee brushes for clearing out awkward gaps and trapped food and a bit of floss every now and then, but not manically.

Electric toothbrushes are fab, I have an Oral B, but wonder if it would sell more as Oral SX?

Oral B & a Waterpik , https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00164C5GG/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21 My dentist approves.

I buy brush heads from Boots, the one time I bought off Amazon they were fakes & fell apart in my mouth.
I get the ones listed as “by Oral B”, a 4 pack is currently £11.56 (prime) they appear to be genuine.

BTW I see Oral B s own recommendation is for a new brush every three or four months, so my monthly change is probably overkill!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back