advertisement

As audiophiles, d'you listen to radio music or news in the morning (or TV?)

^^^^^^^
An old smart phone and a CCA do the job for me. Both are so small they can't really be counted as extra boxes.

I switch to Radio 3 at 9 until the talking inevitably drives me mad.

Yes, this is annoying for a 'music' station. Even the (superb) jazz 2 plus hours on Saturday afternoons has interviews with silly questions like ' ...and what does this piece mean.' It's music, for Heaven's sake ! This question usually has the composer/band leader flummoxed as he'd never thought to give his creation a meaning !:)

Although not on the same s.q. level (but better than it was), at least Classic FM does give a large and consecutive selection of music, with short news/FTSE bulletins on the hour. Even the ad's don't seem to be so onerous these days, but maybe I'm just inured to them !

An old smart phone and a CCA

Don't have the first and no idea what the second means/is. I'm happy to stick to my analogue (as was) devices around the house and car, I think. I tend to be very selective with technology; I either need it or ignore it. :)

I love the radio....here in Dublin on weekdays I listen to Today on R4 via CCA over breakfast then in car on way to and back from work juggle between RTE R1 and Lyric depending on what depressing drivel is on news....Evenings listen to Lyric ....weekend mornings listen to BBC radio 3

Used to buy newspapers every day ....now I just buy on Fridays (Irish Times) & Saturday's (IT and weekend FT....have them delivered & have leisurely breakfasts)....

I am in UK so start with BBC Radio News for politics headlines & TalkSport for sport trivia & gossip then if home wake
up " Alexa " & she tune's in KCSM Jazz from the Bay Area San Francisco ... Hooked up amp, speakers with sub- woofer in kitchen so can enjoy the syncopations ;o)

OH switches Classic FM on first thing, and it drones in the background for most of the day in the kitchen.

I could never get with breakfast TV. Get up, shower, have coffee, go to work. If there's 10 mins slack to watch TV, I'd just set the alarm for 10 mins later.

I’m ‘hooked’ on Radio 4 and wake up to the Today programme.
I cannot stand Breakfast television !
I rarely read a newspaper.
As for music, I sometimes listen to Radio 3 using my tuner.
What I do like is Radio 4 Extra, especially the comedy programmes
‘Hancock’s Half Hour’ is wonderful.

Every morning for me it is Radio Paradise Main Mix in Flac via an SBT in to my Bi Amped Linn Sara 9's . Lovely mix of music some of which is new to me and often I am writing down details to surf and buy CD,s later in the day .

I have friends who tune in to R4 for news coverage and comment; others who prefer music, either via local stations, R2,R3 or Classic FM. I have a daily newspaper and watch TV news p.m., so only have music (in my case, Classic FM with news and FTSE bulletins)) on in the car, office, kitchen or loo.

Audiophile friends who listen to R4 don't take newspapers, and I wondered if there was a correlation here. Maybe morning TV is the norm for you, though any TV before the one o'clock news is beyond the pale for me and always has been.

I listen to the Today programme on Radio 4 on the kitchen mini-system, and have done for as long as I can remember. 'Thought for the Day' was always my signal to switch the radio off and head to work. I never watch daytime TV, it just seems wrong, though to be fair I don't watch much evening TV either. I buy a newspaper most weekdays but rarely bother reading it.

I gave up watching breakfast time TV back in the fifties, it was just the same testcard every day.

The same channel and same monochrome too, I'll be bound. However, I have a vague memory of transmissions of any kind not happening most of daytime hours. The TVs weren't anything to write home about either; if you had one, that is; most didn't.

I may switch radio 4 on at some point during breakfast consisting of a piece of toast followed by coffee x 2, followed by medication x 6 . I then remove ‘The Times’ from the letterbox. On Fridays the postman delivers ‘The Spectator’. On Saturdays I switch off due to hearing the usual very annoying laughter on a programme called ‘Saturday live’.

I wake up to Radio 3, listen to Radio 4 during breakfast, and to Radio 6 music or Radio 3 on the commute.

Usually listen to the Farming Programme at 05.45 [BBC R4]. Then the News headlines and off goes the radio.

I am not sure I qualify as an audiophile, so that probably excuses me. Thirty years ago I used to have the Telegraph delivered [also the Radio Times and Farmers Weekly], and mostly devoured the music page first and then dipped into the news. My brother liked it because in the days when it had the best music page it also had some of the best sport reporting.

In the meantime, I used to listen to Today, but honestly, the news is all so depressing, and the truth must remain that there is no point in worrying about something you can do nothing about.

So on Saturdays Radio Three plays till lunchtime.

Even the Archers went off the rails years ago, and R4 comedy seems to try so much too hard for its laughs, and so remains resolutely unfunny.

I have not had a Television for more than twenty years. I'd rather buy the occasional classic film or documentary on DVD than pay for a TV License. Waste of money. I am especially fond of some of the great adaptations of real authors like Christie and Conan Doyle, such as Joan Hickson as Marple or Jeremy Brett as Holmes.

Occasionally I see TV away from home and am forcibly reminded why I gave up on it all those years ago.

ATB from George

Last edited:
Thirty years ago I used to have the Telegraph delivered [also the Radio Times and Farmers' Weekly], and mostly devoured the music page first and then dipped into the news. My brother liked it because in the days when it had the best music page it also had some of the best sport reporting.

What a marvellous combination of rural reading and quality newsprint, George ! :). Must admit to being nonplussed by (the Telegraph's?) music page though; no idea what page this is, after many decades with the D.T. Sports? Yes, it was noted for that, though not my thing. Don't knock TV, George, it's as good (if not better) in the drama department now as it's ever been (BBC and ITV, that is). Wouldn't be without the news, drama, comedy and wildlife and educational prog's, esp. as TVs in the last decade have never been better visually. Stunning, in fact.

Roberts radio in the bathroom tuned to R4 and listened to very randomly, seldom used FM tuner in upstairs system tuned to R3. I haven’t bought a newspaper for decades. Back when I did it was the Sunday Times as I liked its ‘Culture’ section rather better than the equivalent in The Observer. I used to infrequently buy The Guardian, but I’ve never been a daily paper type of person. I have always hated tabloids. With regards to politics I far prefer making my own mind up on things so I’ll always watch PMQs, always watch the party conferences, read party manifestos etc. I try my hardest to get it from the horses mouth rather than the reverberations of an echo chamber or whatever. Obviously this doesn’t always prove possible, but I always retain skepticism toward anything where I’ve not actually viewed the source material. I have zero interest in ‘celebrity culture’ so never recognise the people on the covers of the gutter press.

I view newspapers in physical form as entirely obsolete technology; someone else’s interpretation of yesterday’s news today or tomorrow! I will however fairly often visit the Guardian, Independent and some of the US paper’s websites, e.g. I followed the Kavanaugh hearing via the Guardian live feed. Whilst I fully understand and respect the commercial reasons I think it is a huge shame some newspapers, especially the FT which is one of the very best, are behind a paywall.

Dear Mike,

The Telegraph music page was the next full spread after the editorial. They ran a [classical] music staff of five and most days each reported on concerts, opera, ballet and so on. Usual only one or two reviews in London. It was brilliant on the provinces!

You could not imagine that today.

The Farmers Weekly was a totally serious mag, not political and sometimes seemingly more in tune with Labour agricultural policy than Tory. The point was broader than a producers angle. And the old Radio Times [when it was BBC only] showed the complete playlist to the minute for Radio Three. I made countless tapes of music I wanted to listen to this way with a timer on the recorder!

I am not into drama as such. Never was. Enjoyed Le Carre very much in the days of Tinker, Tailer and Smiley's People, but I suspect that these were close to being drama docs rather than pure fantasy! As it happens I have just watched Part Four of Tinker [with Guinness] this evening!

I do not find watching comedy funny! Nor do the modern Scandy-noir type series appeal. Attenborough made some great nature programmes, but he is nearer the coffin than the camera these days.

I refuse to watch anything with adverts. Selling things you don't need! If you are not aware they exist you are not even tempted in a moment of weakness! Certainly not made interested ...

I actually enjoy a book [again historical or biographic rather than novels as a rule] and though terribly long sighted still make the effort. Currently reading Roland Huntford's book on Scott and Amundsen. Next up will be Micheal Kennedy's biography of Adrian Boult ...

I find myself rather out of step with the modern world, but that is okay. The modern world will not have to put up with this old oxygen thief for more than ten or fifteen years!

Best wishes from George

advertisement

Back