advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

The Busoni Piano Concerto with the French National Orchestra conducted by Rozhdestvensky, and Victoria Postnikova hammering the ivories.

The conducting and orchestral playing are probably the best I've heard on this piece, but unfortunately the pianist isn't quite up to the Herculean task.

The Busoni Piano Concerto with the French National Orchestra conducted by Rozhdestvensky, and Victoria Postnikova hammering the ivories.

The conducting and orchestral playing are probably the best I've heard on this piece, but unfortunately the pianist isn't quite up to the Herculean task.

Victoria Postnikova was Mrs Rozhdestvensky IIRC.

Allan Pettersson symphonies 5 and 7.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079P95KCC/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

I did not 'hear' them at first but now can, other symphonies ordered to nearly complete my collection. Quite bleak though.

Yes, Pettersson is the ultimate in 'bleak', but I find myself really drawn in, and his symphonic argument is so compelling that it sweeps you along - but yes, can be depressing if you're in the wrong mood...

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
IMG_0199.jpg

First vinyl I've listened to for two years. Getting back into it.

John Field, 15 nocturnes played by Roberte Mamou. Impressive to know that John Field was writing this 30 years before Chopin wrote similar stuff.

Beethoven 32 Variations on a Theme of Diabelli.

Georges Solchany on French HMV [CD, transferred to iTunes] and every bit as subtle as pianists more famous in Anglophone lands!

ATB from George

Penderecki Violin Cto no.2 "Metamorphosen" - Anne Sophie Mutter, Penderecki & LSO on DG
Penderecki's later style (from 1990s onwards) is sort of a continuation of late-period Shostakovich, and I like it. Not so sure about his 1960s and 70s works.
He and Anne Sophie Mutter are coming to Scotland in November to perform this work with the RSNO and hopefully I'll be going to see.

Last edited:
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
beethoven-complete-piano-trios.jpg

71Y91FCQvYL._SY425_.jpg

Finally getting around to the LvB piano trio shootout, comparing the Oliver Schnyder Trio and the Trio Owon to determine my go-to set. Both are recent releases, and while I have other sets of various vintages, these two tickle my fancy most, so it was necessary to see if I could divine which was the best in the seven numbered piano trios.

I started with Op 1, Number 1, with Oliver Schynder and his crew going first. The trio zip through the Allegro nearly a minute quicker than the Owon, delivering high voltage playing. More flexibility is possible, but there's something appealing here. The Adagio cantabile is more relaxed, and slower than the Owon, and quite lovely. But the bouncy, fun Scherzo and quicksilver Presto demonstrate that the Schnyder seem to revel in fast, high energy, and robustly secure playing most of all. It's just good, clean, classical fun. The Owon are slightly more relaxed in presentation and tempo - but still tight as drum in terms of execution - and one is struck immediately by greater flexibility in phrasing and dynamics. (The latter is aided a bit by the slightly more distant sound.) There's more of a sense of youthful LvB fun here. It's not that the Schynder lack in that area, it's just that the Owon display more. And though the Adagio cantabile is a bit shorter in timing, it sounds more flexible and hints at a slightly more romantic style, all without overdoing anything. Both the Scherzo and Presto display the same traits as the opening Allegro, and sort of sound groovier and can lead to occasional head-bopping. The Owon take it.

Schnyder Trio link: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073XD6LBW/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

advertisement

Back