advertisement

Electric bike for hills?

No idea but I don't go round anything in the Black Forest. Straight up normally. Steep enough for most people.

And you are right. I take no satisfaction getting up steep climbs like I do on motorbikes . I only go up to go down. That's part of the reason for buying one. If you get a bigger buzz out of shagging yourself out for an hour going up followed by five minutes of going down, then you don't need an e-bike.

You misunderstand. It's about the joy that comes from exercise and fitness as well as the pleasure of actually riding a bike.

420w/h. Is that good?

I know next to nothing about electric bikes but that looks brilliant.

I guessed the price though. £3,000. Can't see them selling many.

420 is not enough. Most of them offer 500 now. When I change I expect / hope to have 600. I would not go near this because of it. The design is cool, though.

420 is not enough. Most of them offer 500 now. When I change I expect / hope to have 600. I would not go near this because of it. The design is cool, though.
I think you'll find that 500 is the max due to fitting. The very latest (i.e. a few) R&M bikes can take two of these for 1000 and the electronics will draw power from both.

Cheers,

DV

I think you'll find that 500 is the max due to fitting. The very latest (i.e. a few) R&M bikes can take two of these for 1000 and the electronics will draw power from both.

Cheers,

DV
1000 might be too heavy for me. The battery at 500w weighs about 3 kilos. And you can really tell when you take the battery out.

1000 might be too heavy for me. The battery at 500w weighs about 3 kilos. And you can really tell when you take the battery out.

A 3 kilo battery. Interesting. My lightest bike weighs 6.8kg.

Will these batteries get lighter as the technology improves?

That's bad. Seems to defeat the main object of electric bikes.

Mind you, I've had to push a few times. Rosedale Chimney springs to mind. But I only had a 25 cog on the back so it was stupidity rather than lack of fitness. I'd need a 32 at current fitness levels.

No, the bike is great, just pointing out that steep hills and lack of gears don’t mix well. To be clear, the hill that defeats me is alongside the local dry ski slope!

A 3 kilo battery. Interesting. My lightest bike weighs 6.8kg.

Will these batteries get lighter as the technology improves?
Not sure but I suppose so. The motors are definitely getting much smaller and lighter currently, though. Mine looks very numptyish compared to the latest.

Two grand is a hell of a lot of taxi rides if it's only a couple of miles away.....

I been thinking about one of these bikes for a while

the choices seem to be get a bike with factory fitted motor etc
or add a motor to existing bike and have the hassle of fitting it

this guy I have been following bought a normal bike and added motor to it
his video channel is not about electric bikes, but hes filmed the fitting the motor etc and films his journeys home

he uses a 1000 watt Bafang motor and gets some crazy torque and speeds ...should go up any hill
and indeed smaller motors will do a similar job to large extent

hope this helps

bw
j7

Apparently the restrictions are becoming harder to crack.

16mph is fine if you are a recreational rider but a ballache if you are not. But there are potentially serious implications if you have an accident and plod find out you have a derestricted bike.

I personally think the 16mph limit needs to be raised. Maybe that will be one of the few benefits of Brexit!

I been thinking about one of these bikes for a while

the choices seem to be get a bike with factory fitted motor etc
or add a motor to existing bike and have the hassle of fitting it

this guy I have been following bought a normal bike and added motor to it
his video channel is not about electric bikes, but hes filmed the fitting the motor etc and films his journeys home

he uses a 1000 watt Bafang motor and gets some crazy torque and speeds ...should go up any hill
and indeed smaller motors will do a similar job to large extent

hope this helps

bw
j7
John, are you working on a TT using this motor....

Two grand is a hell of a lot of taxi rides if it's only a couple of miles away.....
A cab home is £30! They charge to come out from the town so thats a £60 round trip or £300 a week. Besides I like to smell the air.

All the good stuff here has made me think that something like a G-tech or Halfords job is the best for me. Not so dear and I really only want it for popping to the pub. Just landed from the Middle East so today I'm going to have a look armed with all your advice.

Being reasonably fit I'd dismissed them as a silly fad, It was seeing the chap who came over with his cyclist mates. I couldn't believe he'd done it- he must be well over 20 stone! People were laughing because he was waiting for them at the top of the hills.

Having said that there are some great suggestions for people who want to use one as a way of getting fit or just out and about.

advertisement

Back