advertisement

New high-end Yamaha turntable

Tony L

Administrator
The GT-5000. Looks pretty chunky, and belt drive rather than direct drive which is a surprise. I’m not understanding the straight non-offset arm though!

I’m not understanding the straight non-offset arm though!

With an advertised effective length of 223mm and an 'underhang' of 17mm, there will exist a single null point at 88.719mm. There will be -9º of tracking error at the innermost groove and 12º at the outermost.

Tracking distortion will be abysmal, measuring in whole numbers within 8mm either side of the null point, hitting 7.5% at the innermost groove and 4.08% at the outermost.

Yamaha 'Natural Sound' RIP.

This was spotted by a HFN writer on a show months ago. He commented on the arm, hoping that it
was a temporary solution for the show, not for the final product.

Very sad indeed, but probably typical of the modern-day large-company management competence.

It was announced here too - along with a couple of 'high end' amps/preamps.

I'ts interesting that the silver styling of the amps with the vertical rectangular function knobs has barely changed since I owned a CA 800 Yamaha amp in the late '70s.

Looks to be very beautifully made and finished as was the amp I owned way back then... have no idea about the turntable though - I do not recall Yamaha ever having a reputation for making aspirational turntables, but of course I could be wrong.

Cheers

Tracking distortion will be abysmal, measuring in whole numbers within 8mm either side of the null point, hitting 7.5% at the innermost groove and 4.08% at the outermost.
Yamaha 'Natural Sound' RIP.
The analog vinyl sound as imagined by the marketing department.
The crude synchronous motor belt drive shows that they did not want to invest in direct drive motor tooling

Mmm a shame if all your comments about it are correct..

I have a Yamaha YPD9 1970’s turntable. It’s a direct drive job, the arm is by Micro Seiki and the DD motor is JVC I think. lol.

I like that ‘GT’ stands for ‘Gigantic & Tremendous’. That is proper product naming.

I can confirm a GT-2000 is definitely quite large, although less ‘Gigantic’ than a Sony PS-X9 or Nak TX-1000.

As to ‘Tremendous’, i’ll let you know once I’ve re-assembled it. Which, after months of delaying, will be next week. Definitely. Absolutely. Without a doubt.

Sad day when even Yamaha aspire to mediocrity.

GT5000_MotorfloatingUTKABGLV_3000x2000_7867cac3141f2ee65120f3cedfaa91e1.jpg

advertisement

Back