advertisement

Hi Fi News / Martin Colloms Speakers. DC1s.

Martyn Miles

pfm Member
I have just seen, on eBay under LS3/5a, a pair of speakers which appear to be a Martin Colloms design called the DC1. The eBay seller has them listed as a ‘Rogers LS3/5a variant loudspeakers.’
I recall reading about the design in a Hi Fi News article in the ‘80s. It was called DC1 as the bass/mid driver was direct coupled. The kit was quite expensive, as it used genuine LS3/5a cabinets.
Do any other Forum members recall these speakers?

I have just seen, on eBay under LS3/5a, a pair of speakers which appear to be a Martin Colloms design called the DC1. The eBay seller has them listed as a ‘Rogers LS3/5a variant loudspeakers.’
I recall reading about the design in a Hi Fi News article in the ‘80s. It was called DC1 as the bass/mid driver was direct coupled. The kit was quite expensive, as it used genuine LS3/5a cabinets.
Do any other Forum members recall these speakers?
I don't recall them but at about 1/3 way down the page at this link there is a description under the title 'HFN DC1 "kit"' (if you can either read Hungarian or ask an online translator).

I'm a little late to this party but I found the thread whilst looking for more info on a kit I bought a few years ago
and which promptly found its way into the most inaccessible spot in a spare room.
It's brand new, not even having the holes drilled out for the Audax TW 74A pure plastic tweeters.
Came with a copy of Martin Colloms article from the "Hi Fi News and Record Review" of July 1985.
I can provide more details if I find I'm not "wasting my sweetness on the desert air". (I'm not sure how this forum works)

Cheers, Brian.

Can't help with your gaseousness, however, if you are feeling generous, you could scan the article and upload it to a file/photo sharing site and then link to it from here.

I do remember reading this article in Hi-Fi News and thinking it might be more of a tamed Kan than LS3/5a with teeth.

These were meant to be used with an external line-level filter network to execute the baffle-step equalization.

Can't help with your gaseousness, however, if you are feeling generous, you could scan the article and upload it to a file/photo sharing site and then link to it from here.

I do remember reading this article in Hi-Fi News and thinking it might be more of a tamed Kan than LS3/5a with teeth.

Ha ha Nothing to do with gas but it will teach me not to quote poetry online. Gray's elegy, verse 14 which is the only bit of poetry I know.
I am feeling generous and will be happy to (somehow) get a copy to the forum but will have to wait until my son turns up and provides the esoteric knowledge to do it. Who has a scanner anymore?
BTW the article calls for an Audax TW6x9A tweeter but as I said mine came with the TW-74A , currently available as TWO10F1, as if you'd want one. That being said I haven't heard one in this situation so until then????

While I'm here maybe I could ask for a little free advice....
seeing I have the Rogers cab as well as a few SP1003s and T27s lying around, would anyone recommend going that route? I'm currently using Celestion SL6s as my computer (very) near field speakers and nice as they are I
don't like them for this application but the Rogers cab might be just the thing. Maybe??

... Who has a scanner anymore?

If you have a smartphone, install adobe scan - very smart app which will take a photo and perform OCR when converting to PDF. Only downside is (I think) you have to create an Adobe cloud account too, and by default scans get stored there.

BTW the article calls for an Audax TW6x9A tweeter but as I said mine came with the TW-74A , currently available as TWO10F1, as if you'd want one.

Same thing, except for the faceplate, which snaps off anyway. Several shapes were available, all with the same motor.

advertisement

Back