advertisement

Amp Camp Amp

''A little air movement goes a long way...''

Very true. Down from 72 degrees C to 50ish.

fe4h1f.jpg

FWIW, I'll post my impressions in August - although going by their popularity the latest batch may be all gone by then. It's certainly expensive (in Europe) if you go the DIY Audio Shop/Modushop route - more diy fun than vfm. Of course, if it turns out to be stunning I may change my mind.

Edit: Next batch of pre-orders open for 48hrs only.

Last edited:
Objectivity is next to impossible, but I'd say the sound of these in bridged mode is absolutely delightful. There is a clarity which the big Meridian amp just doesn't seem to have - I've yet to try a symphony but jazz and chamber music are perfect. Driving first an old pair of Mission bookshelf speakers and then Linn 140s or Focals there is ample volume with no trace whatever of distortion. So for me the verdict on Nelson Pass's preferences for Class A and for minimum component count is very definitely positive.

The kits went together without any problem (I only had to use the desoldering braid twice - always a sign to stop and get some sleep.) The amps are designed with first-time builders in mind and the illustrated build guide on DIYaudio is excellent.

If I build another DIYaudio design, it won't be the lazy way: the metalwork from Italy is good quality but expensive so I'll shop around. Similarly, importing a full kit of components and the individual psu.s from the 'States attracted a further £65 in VAT+collection fees which in retrospect was a mistake. (Some of the parts would have attracted VAT anyway, so how big a mistake would take hours and a spreadsheet to figure out. Life's too short.)

I'd forgotten how much satisfaction even a simple build like this can generate, and to a lesser extent repeat every time you switch on.

Did anyone buy an Amp Camp Amp? I was so tempted but didn’t in the end. If it was a 20 Watt job I’d have taken a punt as it is a cute looking thing that would have been fun to build, but 5 Watts is just too small for my context.

A Krell KSA20 should exist!

I ran a Kelvin Labs class A 20 watter for years (into TDL Studio 1's - so no headbanging) Sadly it blew up when the kids switched it on one day.

IIRC with the newer 24V supplies there's close to 20 Watts available from a bridged pair. (And the mainly second order harmonic self-cancels.) Currently playing a Beethoven concerto with no signs of strain. Still smiling.

Toying wth the idea to make a quadlink to balanced 2x XLR and build a bridged amp to have enough power to drive my ESL-988s :p Although I was advised to forget using this amp with them...would the increased power be enough? I'm not driving my 909 too hard at my age

Last edited:
Maybe too late to be helpful, but in around six weeks I'll be able to tell you how they play with '57s (+ active subs).

The guides are so good and the ACA so straightforward that I'd confidently tackle one of the more powerful Pass designs.

advertisement

Back