advertisement

Which DAC ?

jamwat

pfm Member
Hey All

Thinking of changing my Chord DAC64 MK1 but not sure what to replace it with.

Looking to spend £1000 max

So what’s you’re thoughts on a decent replacement DAC?

Cheers

I doubt you'll find a better dac for £1k. The dac64 is still a well thought of and sought after model. If you want to try anything else you could look at later Chords or Metrum.

Hey All

Thinking of changing my Chord DAC64 MK1 but not sure what to replace it with.

Looking to spend £1000 max

So what’s you’re thoughts on a decent replacement DAC?

Cheers
What do you think is missing in your DAC or what would you like to improve?

This, unless there are specific features you require, or if you feel like adding a bit of valve/nos/R2R distortion.
Keith

This, unless there are specific features you require, or if you feel like adding a bit of valve/nos/R2R distortion.
Keith

I think this is half the problem really.
People quote sounds better but in reality its a different sound.
Maybe thats what you are after?

Used to have one of those and very good (though slightly unreliable) it was too.

It can, however, now be bettered and within budget if you're prepared to consider used.

You don't say if your 1K budget is on top of the sale proceeds of the DAC64 which would still be around £500.

Things which you could consider are a BM dac2 or dac3 (though they rarely come up used) or a newer chord model, and if the RME ADI2 dac is as good as Keith suggests then that would be in the mix.

There are also the Chinese made ESS 9028 and 9038 dacs from the likes of Yulong and Gustard which on paper ought to be good and seem well received on HeadFi though I've never heard either.

I think to you should try the Ciunas ISO-DAC that John is lending out to this PFM crowd at the present time; I've had a long run with it and it sounds fantastic. Certainly proves that all DACs do not sound the same. Well under your £1000 ceiling but don't let price be your guide to quality in this example.

It's only a USB DAC though if that's an issue.

Not all live music is amplified...

True just having a bit of fun.
Most half decent setups should be able to make a good stab at producing live music with or without £1000-£2000 worth of dac as long as it was recorded /produced correctly.

mytek, Ciunas ISO-DAC, RME ADI2 all sound interesting. In fact I have been looking at mytek for a few weeks now.

Only reason for the change is that I’ve had the chord for many years so thought why not have a change. I may end up keeping it if I can’t find one that’s works for me. I would like usb which the DAC 64 doesn’t have.

I’d prefer second hand but also open for new.

mytek, Ciunas ISO-DAC, RME ADI2 all sound interesting. In fact I have been looking at mytek for a few weeks now.

Only reason for the change is that I’ve had the chord for many years so thought why not have a change. I may end up keeping it if I can’t find one that’s works for me. I would like usb which the DAC 64 doesn’t have.

I have a Mytek Brooklyn. I've had it a couple of years. Couldn't be happier. I don't think you'd be disappointed with one of these if you could find a second hand one for a grand.

The RME has some potentially useful features, it’s built -in EQ could be useful, tone, bass management to n are but a few it is incredibly versatile .
Keith

advertisement

Back