advertisement

The meme meta-thread... was it an orgy?

windhoek

The Phoolosopher
Friends, not friends, threads about threads about friends or not friends. I think we just had a meme orgy and like its best member, it just keeps on getting bigger, and bigger, and bigger!

Oh, serious question - What Is a Meme? My son keeps going on about them

A quick Google says a meme is:
  1. 1.
    an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
  2. 2.
    an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations.

an element of a culture or system of behaviour passed from one individual to another by imitation or other non-genetic means.
    an image, video, piece of text, etc., typically humorous in nature, that is copied and spread rapidly by Internet users, often with slight variations.

My dictionary has the first explanation but not the second, which I suspect is a recent digital-age embellishment. Doesn't appear to be too close to the original meaning, either, i.m.o., which might be verbally inherited history where inadequate or no written language was present in that culture. Just a guess, though.

4818868.jpg

Well blow me down, apparently, there's an adult party game called What Do you Meme? and it's on sale here at Amazon for £19.60 delivered, wow!

41Yjjq7k-FL._AC_US218_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back