advertisement

System pics 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
MJV

There are four uprights (outer two not quite in shot) that create three sections mostly visible.
Albums are ordered alphabetically by artist from top left to bottom right.

Full disclosure: a mix of moderate dyslexia/ocd plus fecklessness means this is equally and practise.

Cheers - John

Sounds like it would great fun to look thru your collection :p

I just wonder how you know where all your titles are is there some logical layout only you can understand???

I asked the very same question last time still posted a pic of his music room.
If I remember correctly, he has no problems finding stuff, which is all that matters really.

Bloss

PS: FWIW I arranged all my records in strict alphabetical, it does not work for me, back to genres at some point in the future.

Last edited:
I have'nt seen much manley Labs kit around myself so it's pretty rare. Be good to hear what you think of the Chinook when you get round to trying it. Are you thinking of a Manley Labs system?

Joe P likes his Stingray driving Tannoys, and other observations he has made over the years leads me to believe he is not deaf. Also, I like the Manley ethos. Reading their website it is almost as is some of Joss Whedon's characters retired and started a hi-fi company. It would be really nice if it was good*. And I like the styling.

I hope to have some time this weekend to set up the Chinook. I'll post something after a few days listening.

* Several Stereophile reviews suggest promise

Reactions: MVJ
TBH I enjoy the more unkempt-looking set ups in this thread; the system is meant for playing music, not a shrine (<<shock! horror!>>).

As long as you can find stuff, it matters not how the LPs or CDs are filed or not. My own collection is an odd combination of filed disks and haphazard piles, the latter being more recently acquired stuff stretching back several years. I usually don't have problems finding albums although sometimes I do indeed forget where things are!

I asked the very same question last time still posted a pic of his music room.
If I remember correctly, he has no problems finding stuff, which is all that matters really.

Bloss

PS: FWIW I arranged all my records in strict alphabetical, it does not work for me, back to genres at some point in the future.

As long as you know where to find stuff it's what suits you..

I had mine by genre but once I moved into my dedicated music room my collecting got out of hand & I found aphabetical seemed best. Problem is when you add a new cd/lp everything has to to shuffle along pain in the arse so back to genre for me too.

Joe P likes his Stingray driving Tannoys, and other observations he has made over the years leads me to believe he is not deaf. Also, I like the Manley ethos. Reading their website it is almost as is some of Joss Whedon's characters retired and started a hi-fi company. It would be really nice if it was good*. And I like the styling.

I hope to have some time this weekend to set up the Chinook. I'll post something after a few days listening.

* Several Stereophile reviews suggest promise

I like the ethos too add the quirky sense of humour that comes across in the scribbilings on their website they seem very committed to what they do.

Look forward to hearing about the Chinook :)

TBH I enjoy the more unkempt-looking set ups in this thread; the system is meant for playing music, not a shrine (<<shock! horror!>>).

As long as you can find stuff, it matters not how the LPs or CDs are filed or not. My own collection is an odd combination of filed disks and haphazard piles, the latter being more recently acquired stuff stretching back several years. I usually don't have problems finding albums although sometimes I do indeed forget where things are!

I think every type of room in whatever state is in fact a shrine to music the only difference is how the individual chooses to worship.

Indeed. My media is kept in an adjacent room to the hifi. This way my wife’s OCD is kept in check... (and out of the paws of three children!!) All cds, DVD’s, cassettes, and vinyl is stored in here...

As long as you know where to find stuff it's what suits you..
I had mine by genre but once I moved into my dedicated music room my collecting got out of hand & I found aphabetical seemed best. Problem is when you add a new cd/lp everything has to to shuffle along pain in the arse so back to genre for me too.

I expect you have a few years on me. My problem with filing alphabetically is new stuff. I buy a fair bit of new and I cannot remember their names, so genre it will
be again.

I think every type of room in whatever state is in fact a shrine to music the only difference is how the individual chooses to worship.

I have made a new unit for my 2 decks, 2 side by side. A long thin box, with pre, 2 phono boxes, headphone amp and a flap hinge keeping it all from view. The supplies I have boxed in, and to suit my humour, I have made this element to look similar to an Alter/lectern base. I have to keep it keep it all relatively ship shape as
I do not have a dedicated room by choice. Strange hobby all this.

Bloss

Cheeky bugger you make sound ancient:p I can't remember if I've had my pills never mind what music I have.

Come on then lets have some piccies then...

Cheeky bugger you make sound ancient:p
Come on then lets have some piccies then...

Sorry, that was a genuine error. I know I am most probably older than you.

Piccies would cause too much damage to my already tarnished image. Several reasons as not yet finished,
more cables need hiding, decorations and the most embarrassing of all the speakers have been
hand painted as partner would not have in a common space looking like coffins in a Spagog western awaiting a refill and a good summer.
Once I have done that lot and had the speakers vinyl wrapped I will post a pic.

Bloss

Only kidding Bloss:rolleyes: 66 in Sept bloody ell' thats starting to sound old when I say it:eek:

Only kidding Bloss:rolleyes: 66 in Sept bloody ell' thats starting to sound old when I say it:eek:

You come across as someone much younger, good fortune to you.

68 for me in Nov:), as that actor/singer said 'the best years of our/my life'

Bloss

We've done a bit more painting of the cupboards and have tidied following the initial coat (one more to go, I think), so a chance for a quick pic of the system itself:

system pic 001 by Chris Goom, on Flickr

There's a doorway just visible in the left side of the photo and the left speaker is on the other side of it, so they are a bit too far apart to be considered ideal placement but I have got around it as best as I am able by using a fair bit of toe in.

And a second one, taken from near to where my head is located when listening. Its strange how it never seems as bright/busy when I'm sat in the room, as it does in the photo:

system pic 2 001 by Chris Goom, on Flickr

Last edited:
We've done a bit more painting of the cupboards and have tidied following the initial coat (one more to go, I think), so a chance for a quick pic of the system itself:

system pic 001 by Chris Goom, on Flickr

There's a doorway just visible in the left side of the photo and the left speaker is on the other side of it, so they are a bit too far apart to be considered ideal placement but I have got around it as best as I am able by using a fair bit of toe in.

Looks great Chris :) Very few hifi loonies get the perfect set up so compromises are inevitable

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back