advertisement

Clapping between movements...

Nic Robinson

...seems to be in the news at the minute and getting discussed a lot on radio.

I've never really minded it; indeed some concertos almost demand it at the end of the first movement.

But listening to this year's Proms, it's almost as if it's now obligatory to clap between movements!

Is it a sign of the democratisation of classical music - or has it gone too far?

We do this topic every year when the Proms come round - in my opinion it is rude and unnecessary, many will disagree though.

I cite the example of Malcolm Sargents obvious distaste and refusal to put up with it.

At the Usher Hall for domestic RSNO and SCO concerts clapping between movements is frowned upon. During the Edinburgh Festival it is quite common. I have seen a conductor turn on the audience and take quite a few minutes to settle himself and the musicians before the second movement. The audience did not do it again.

It was the norm until relatively recently. Personally it doesn’t bother me, and from what I’ve heard and read it doesn’t bother musicians either.

I’d draw a line at whooping though <grin>.

shouldnt clap at all really? you dont clap the bus driver on getting you to your stop? or the accountant who did your returns? The musicians get paid dont they? they did their job, why the need to boost their egos also?

I often get a clap at the end of my organ voluntary (especially if it's loud and popular). The vicar laments not being applauded for his sermon. Such is life.

I often get a clap at the end of my organ voluntary (especially if it's loud and popular). The vicar laments not being applauded for his sermon. Such is life.

Give him a ‘whoop’ yourself at a germane moment - you know, when he gets to the part that proves Christ would have approved of the new housing development or whatever. Don’t hog the limelight.

Not clapping between movements is so 20th Century.

Live classical music needs several kicks up the backside, updating the performers' dress code might be another place to start.

Compared with audiences abroad, the UK listeners are very formal - the word "stuffy" comes to mind. Music is supposed to be about entertainment & enjoyment so they should show their feelings. I am a big opera fan & have quite a lot on blu-ray where there is always at least 5 minutes for the curtain call & many bits in between where the audience respond spontaneously. The artists generally lap this up - nobody more so than Luciano Pavarotti used to do - but to me it is all part of the performance.

I remember watching the Proms, back in 2001, just after 9/11. There was an American conductor (his name escapes me) who explained that the piece that was about to be played, Barber's Adagio For Strings, was his nations mourning music, and that it was not appropriate for the audience to applaud at the end.

Of course it was an intensely moving performance , and the rapturous applause at the end was, imo, entirely appropriate .

Personally - yes I do find it very annoying. It does depend on the piece I guess, but generally the different movements of a piece are not separate pieces of music, they are intended to be heard as a whole, with one leading into the other, and I think applause can often break the spell (just been listening to tonight's prom, Beethoven 2 & 5, with applause between every movement). I don't think the word "stuffy" is relevant - its down to personal taste.

I know in the past (including premiers of major works such as Beethoven symphonies) all kinds of disruptions occured, but remember audiences then were often social gatherings including many wealthy people not remotely interested in the music.

And just to add - why do people feel the need to shout/applaud the nanosecond after the last note has been played, even before the reverberation has died away? Its almost like people feel they are in a competition for who has enjoyed it the most....

Not clapping between movements is largely a 20th century phenomenon. Heck, it wasn’t unknown for movements to be repeated if the audience was impressed.

And just to add - why do people feel the need to shout/applaud the nanosecond after the last note has been played, even before the reverberation has died away? Its almost like people feel they are in a competition for who has enjoyed it the most....

I suffered greatly with this when I saw Mahler's 3rd symphony here in Glasgow. I desperately wanted to let the moment linger before coming back to Planet Earth, but the sadly the audience had other ideas and wrought me hastily and turbulently out of transcendental bliss with a bang. Lots and lots of bangs and the guy who was sitting to my left banged his palms together loudest of all - louder than the loudest timpani strike! It was horrible, just plain horrible.

advertisement

Back