advertisement

what kit for the aspiring wedding photographer.

No. You claimed some ability to make easy money as a wedding photographer but did not risk it.
Mescalito actually did make money, if he is to be believed.

you seem to have missed the critical point -- i find wedding photography so debasing that i would never do it, even for "easy money".

I think I have understood the "critical" point. I understand how easy it is to say "I could be brilliant" at anything but that assertion is never tested...

Thanks Joe. It turned out very nicely. There was quite a crowd that wanted to look under the dark cloth and were amazed by it. Cheers, John

So how many of your audience here are inside? Don’t get me wrong, as an industry it is open to ridicule and rightly so, I just think hooker is an ugly term and it’s a bit strong when you don’t know who’s posting here or what they do.
indeed, it's hard to pick those amongst us with thin skin, or sensayuma failures. Accordingly, a number of us post as we are, and expect acceptance as offering counterpoint. You think hooker is an ugly term, just wait till you see what happens on farms or in the outback, down this end of the world!

Just like VUK then.

Well I spoke to him this am and he's seen all this and says thank you, pointing out to me that his day job is as a graphic freelance, and this is to be a sideline. The 10Gs are for his graphic company! My mistake Duh.

Anyway we think in that case a new Nikon D750 with 2nd hand 2.8 Nikkor zooms (24-70 and 70-200),1 top Q prime, an 85 f1.4 for the portraits ( I like Sigma Art, he likes Nikon), 2 flashes, some light reflector panels and a step ladder will start him going. The pro computer kit and willing assistant/crowd organiser he has already.

Thanks again chaps!
A flash bracket would be useful, in addition to an SC-29 TTL flash cable. There are a couple that are pro-quality rugged, and fold out to get the camera away from the body, yet hold up to real use.

Also my 10p worth, if he can swing it, the 70-200 FL-E really is worth the extra coin over the VRII or VRI.

I forgot that were still sensitive souls still around Vuk - have you got over Oskar Barnack choosing a 24 x 36 image ratio instead of a ratio based on glass plate and paper sizes yet.

excellent ;-)

...but i actually meant shockwave flash running the website, though, of course, the other kind of flash is ultimately more damaging to delicate artistic sensibilities.

I forgot that were still sensitive souls still around Vuk - have you got over Oskar Barnack choosing a 24 x 36 image ratio instead of a ratio based on glass plate and paper sizes yet.

Slightly out of context, apologies, but I watched the Leika Oskar Barnack Awards 2013 on the Tube. Never heard of it before but I am in total awe. Now must see the other years.

I did a wedding about 4 years ago as a favour for a friend. I borrowed some lights etc for the formal portrait types images of which I think I took about 30 which was edited down to 6 images by us and a total of two prints. For the reportage we bought 10 cheapo digital cameras and stuck one on each table and let the guests snap away. That generated about 1500 images, which I just handed over to the happy couple to sort out.

Every once in a while I get asked if I will shoot a wedding. But the amount of money that I would want is far more than I am worth so I always decline.

One thought is to invest in a drone - I did some drone shots of a friends wedding party in Greece and they really liked them. Mavic Air is small, not that pricey and the photo quality is also good enough. The slow mo fly over aerial shot is cliched but always gives context to the place, which photos can’t.

Wedding party by -DaveBailey1-

Beach by -DaveBailey1-

Using a drone commercially in the U.K. requires CAA approval. A three day course with practical and written exams need to be passed. To do it justice, over half the £10k budget will disappear on drone, camera, lens, and the CAA course.

We have Ministry of Defense drone flying exclusion zones where I live, as we build nuclear submarines here. It is quite a wide zone, too (impinges on personal freedom's to some degree) and would require, I imagine, special pre-approval permissions to fly.

We have Ministry of Defense drone flying exclusion zones where I live, as we build nuclear submarines here. It is quite a wide zone, too (impinges on personal freedom's to some degree) and would require, I imagine, special pre-approval permissions to fly.

I live about a mile from the edge of an army flying station. I've been told that a modern drone won't even take off nearby, GPS, security etc.

advertisement

Back