advertisement

Scotland’s Greatest Hits

On the BBC documentary about the Rollers, I was surprised to learn that Da Brudders' "Gabba Gabba Hey!" comes from the chant on 'Saturday Night'.

Really? I thought the "gabba..." came from Tod Browning's Freaks.

(I've not read the article yet though)

Battlefield Band - great traditional music. Also quite like The Incredible String Band.

I recommend the documentary - Big Gold Dream for those interested in Scottish post-punk. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B076KQY9J8/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21
I think it was on BBC for a while. I was too young to remember or appreciate all this when was a kid but I liked how Edinburgh with Fast/PopAural etc seemed to have the edginesss and the Glasgow scene seemed a bit more polite.

A couple of faves:

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Kevin McDermott Orchestra - Mother Nature's Kitchen is a great album as is the 1st Hipsway album

I'd forgotten all about the Kevin McD album, I think I may have a cassette of it somewhere. It was the soundtrack to a lot of climbing trips to Scotland - along with "Sea Of Love" by The Adventures.

Agreed. Hipsway's first album must be among the best of 80's Scottish music. I hadn't realised they had a second, so thanks for that.

Karine Polwart
Eddie Reader
King Creosote
mogwai

And the absolutely must listen - Blue Nile and Paul Buchanan

What’s not to like in that lot

advertisement

Back