advertisement

Knobs for A&R Cambridge A60

ricsimas

pfm Member
Hi all,

My A60 is in overall still great condition, but the knobs have started flaking. Has anyone come across good replacements that would respect the original look? A quick web search didn't turn up anything specific.

Cheers

The knobs are aluminium alloy and easy to refurbish - speaking from experience.

After removing them, dip them in some paint stripper such as the commonly available Nitromors.
Let it do its bit, using wire wool and a second application if necessary.

After cleaning, apply several light coats of a satin black aerosol,paint, whilst supporting the knobs on large screws or bolts.

The centring groove can then be carefully reinstated when paint dry, by use of a junior hacksaw blade.

Easy to get good results.

Richards method works great. Might need a bit of sanding with superfine emery paper before painting.

I used a belt sander in clamped my vice - with 400 grit - then the each knob mounted on a short dowel stick to lightly manipulate.

The centring groove can then be carefully reinstated when paint dry, by use of a junior hacksaw blade.

So the centring mark is just a groove in the bare metal! I had always assumed it had a layer of whitish paint - amazing what you discover after 40 years of ownership. It may be time to give S/N 0105 a bit of a paint job. Can’t do much about most of the source labelling having rubbed off over the years though, or the controls for ‘olu e’, ‘rebl’ and ‘b l nc’.

Who would have thought - a Benny Hill moment - talking about knobs......
Early ones have white paint in the notch - easily achieved with a superfine artists paint brush and some enamel.
Later one's it's plain aluminium achieved by running a thin metal saw blade in the notch after painting black.

advertisement

Back