advertisement

Thriller. Michael Jackson lp

1964meb

pfm Member
hi folks.

My copy was trashed in 1983. Since then the cd was enough. However, my recent increased interest in vinyl has encouraged me to list the albums to repurchase on lp.

Is there a standout recommended lp pressing? Or should I just go s/h for a few squids on flea bay?

Mike

I have 3 copies, a U.K. A1 B1 a Dutch A1 B1 and a UK A5 B9

The UK and Dutch A1's sound great. I would use Discogs.

The man had a very questionable attraction to pre pubescent boys and should be boycotted IMO.

Japanese import versions of the original ought to be good and can normally be found without a long wait.

I have about 10 copies inc picture disc variants (several), UK, Aus, Japanese

I might have a spare Jap copy - must take a look and resurrect the album to play!

SACD isn't at all cheap IIRC

Well you live and learn...
My lp is cat no 85930 made in the Netherlands in 1982. Sound quality good.
I also have a CD special edition 504422 2 that I do not enjoy listening to.
I have always ignored cat numbers because I was interested in the music not originality (and the silly prices that these attract).
I guess I need to reappraise how I purchase.

Some people might think that Ian Watkins of The Lost Prophets made good music.
As it happens, I do think they made decent music. And as such, I still listen to it. Watkin's abominable behaviour does not detract from the music they produced.

Chris

Ian Watkins and Gary Glitter are convicted paedophiles. Jackson was not.
Importantly, Jackson post Jimmy Saville, Is still played regularly by the BBC. The bastion of political correctness. This is an organisation that sacked Tony Blackburn based on one accusation (since reinstated when an avalanche of other claims. did not materialise). In other words they play it safe.
Where do we stop in this ‘me too age’ anyway.
Mick Jagger has sung about rape.
Led Zep have had questions about sex with underage girls raised.
I could go on.
Whilst the idea of questioning whether we should still be listening to music given the questionable behaviour of its creator is an excellent idea for a thread, this thread was about the best selling album thriller and the sound quality of different releases.

Allegations have been made about many of the big names in music: Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, Presley, Jackson, Jerry Lee Lewis etc have all had allegations made, or have been proven to have had sexual relations with underage women. R Kelly is currently the subject of legal action and has been dropped by all of the major streaming services. There will be many more and their art and behaviour are two different areas. Jackson has not been criminally convicted.

Michael Jackson was certainly very strange, which is perhaps understandable given his upbringing/life, but I’m very far from convinced he was a sexual predator. He seemed to be rather emotionally lost and immature in many respects.

PS Bill Wyman’s Stone Alone is a remarkably honest account of attitudes to often underage sex in the 1960s-70s. It’s pretty much a list of teenage girls he slept with, often deliberately not checking ages etc. Given this mindset was rife within the pop/rock culture the lack of current focus, convictions etc strikes me as most odd.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
So what do you think of Thriller then?

Me? I think I marginally prefer Off The Wall overall, but the pair of them are clearly classic albums. I’m less keen on Bad and have no intetest in anything later.

Thriller is interesting as disco was arguably dead at the time (late 1982), yet Jackson and Quincy Jones successfully rebooted it for the white MTV audience by introducing hard-rock/metal guitar riffs etc and produced what may still be the world’s biggest selling album. It is a very clever and beautifully constructed record, one could argue the blueprint/foot in the door for much of Prince’s career.

Totally agree Tony. My comment was more to get the thread back on track (pardon the pun)

I don't like much of MJ's stuff after Thriller either - except I very much like Man in the Mirror as a track....

advertisement

Back