advertisement

40th Birthday speakers

A set of used Meridian 24/96 DSP5000's , digital active.. will fit with your HT..no amps , no speaker cables involved , wonderful sounding and you get tone controls and room placement compensation thrown in..
digital input means you can connect up digital from a satellite box , a cdp , a streamer ,,

As it is your 40th push the boat out and get Dynaudio Special 40s. Expensive but you won't need to upgrade them again....

The Quads would be a terrible choice for TV duties, unless only one of you watches TV, and always in the same space, with a headclamp fitted to make sure your head keeps still.

What kind of fool would use them like that? (Sound fab, unless you like films with lots of big explosions)

NIce room. People posting pictures of 63s are just trying to torture me.

How do they work for TV then? Would I be right to assume that they are primarily for solitary viewing, or am I overemphasizing the head-clamp effect?

The Franco Serblin era Sonus Fabers are renowned for their sumptuous midrange, especially their Amator models. My favourite is is the Electa Amator II. They are beautifully made from solid walnut, have curves in all the right places and sound absolutely beguiling. But I'm not sure if your budget will stretch to a pair, even at secondhand prices.

NIce room. People posting pictures of 63s are just trying to torture me.

How do they work for TV then? Would I be right to assume that they are primarily for solitary viewing, or am I overemphasizing the head-clamp effect?

The head-clamp effect was very pronounced with 57s for me but much less of an issue with the 63s. For serious viewing/listening I take a little care about where I sit and pull the speakers and couch away from their respective walls a little. The set-up still sounds pretty good even with non-ideal positioning.

There is a cracking pair of Spendor SA1’s on ebay, bet the wife will love the look as well.

Also some bigger Spendor A5r’s for a few hundred more.

Sorry for the mistake. Yes, the zebrano finish looks the nuts. Just saw they are 85db though so may not play great with your Rega amp.

gorgeous midgrange = BBC monitor designs/Tannoys/Quad electrostatics.
Rega amp and room size suggests Harbeth 7's as does the amp.
so vote 4 for the harbeths.

One thing I have learnt with speakers is to try them with your system and in your room.........so a home dem if poss

I wasn't going to reply to your thread, not wanting to rain on your 40th, but considering you are moving in the near future I'd wait before purchasing new speakers and then at least try them in the new room before purchasing. I am a firm believer speakers influence the sound the most and the last thing you want are speakers that don't work in the room/position you intended.

Fundamental point from Salamander. I had missed that you were going to move. Mind you, I still think the Harbeths are the ideal size for a 16 x 12, as I've used them in a room that size myself.

Fundamental point from Salamander. I had missed that you were going to move. Mind you, I still think the Harbeths are the ideal size for a 16 x 12, as I've used them in a room that size myself.
It's a basement room, which tends to imply low ceilings, however, so that might induce issues of its own.

advertisement

Back