advertisement

The UK's top towns. The obvious and the overlooked

It does worry me that they have opened ‘the ivy’ in York. We already attract far too many of the wrong sort. With luck they will close the east coast main line and we can all relax.

Like Brighton? L'stoft epitomises Tat on Sea ! Nice sand, and Oulton Broad is a step up, but that's it. If my sister didn't live there I'd be in favour of accelerated erosion as happens a few miles north.

I should have said ‘could be’.

It’s near a city, cheap and has a drug problem.

Like Brighton used to be.

Stephen

I have to mention Sheerness on the Isle of Sheppey, as I lived my secondary school days there. It is both a seaside resort and the last resort. It has the dubious accolade of having the train from Sittingbourne not stop at the station. However, it's a terminus. It woke the high street up for a short while, I'm told, and that was a first !

It does worry me that they have opened ‘the ivy’ in York. We already attract far too many of the wrong sort. With luck they will close the east coast main line and we can all relax.

I'm in York ATM and am probably the wrong sort

I wouldn't let the arrival of The Ivy trouble you, these days it is merely a brand and chain of high street cafe's trading on its former upmarket credentials. Food is ok but not what it was.

Marlborough lovely. As you would expect with nice stone, nice school and plenty of Range Rovers.

Yep, nice place. My father has lived there for the past 25 years and wouldn’t live anywhere else. Always enjoy visiting, lovely surrounding countryside and villages such as Ramsbury and Aldbourne. As long as you avoid Swindon, much of Wiltshire is pretty good.

A lot of seaside towns attract drug addicts, may'be cos they're the end of the line?

yep, a few northeast costal towns like whitley bay etc went downhill over the years, then look at the likes of blackpool - they all attract the chavs and underclass as a rule imo...besides, not many people are into arcades and kiss me quick hats these days...

I'm in York ATM and am probably the wrong sort

I wouldn't let the arrival of The Ivy trouble you, these days it is merely a brand and chain of high street cafe's trading on its former upmarket credentials. Food is ok but not what it was.

oh...not good enough..?

yep, a few northeast costal towns like whitley bay etc went downhill over the years, then look at the likes of blackpool - they all attract the chavs and underclass as a rule imo...besides, not many people are into arcades and kiss me quick hats these days...

They also have an abundance of B&B accommodation, with landlords/landladies who can't be too fussy about how they fill their rooms now that so many people go abroad for holidays.

The new formula for dying seaside towns is to plonk a Tate there, or some trendy new building, that will win architecture awards and baffle the locals, just like Hastings pier - a huge plank, and little else. The usual short term thinking by councils results in the unemployable and drug addicts being farmed out to the peripheries, as someone else stated, there's an abundance of unused b&bs. In fact our governments barely govern really do they? Make do and mend.......

advertisement

Back