advertisement

MDAC First Listen (part 00111001)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob,

The MDAC2 DD2A platform uses a Stepped attenuator on the output to avoid any form of digital domain Gain scaling, this allows Pure DSD without bit manipulation, but as a result the output impedance varies depending on level setting.

Impedance VRMS Level
Ohms

82 2.83 -6
40.5 1.42 -12
26 0.711 -18
18.6 0.356 -24

Driving power amplifier and typical 600 Ohm headphones the Output impedance is significantly low, even at the highest level settings. It depends what level you listen to with 32 Ohm headphones, maybe a buffer stage can be used but any form of extra circuitry can only reduce the sound quality - the MDAC2 design PRIMARY design goal is sound quality.

The Dual ES9038 DevDAC has a conventional output stage with digital attenuation so the output impedance is fixed "Zero" ohms.

For low impedance headphones a simple Unity Gain headphone buffer can be added - it would have to be a VERY VERY good design to avoid degrading the MDAC2 output.

Hello everybody, what's up here about the new mdac .... forgive my forgetfulness about the incarnations and names with various prefixes, too long ago .....

Clerenlas,

Added you to the Facebook group.

Once the MDAC2 is released into production I'll explain indepth the reasons for the chosen path.

Hi John,
I canceled my facebook account, so I need to take place into your group with my wifes account: Andrea Hamrouni
Yours, Christian

That video seems to have been posted last year, :oops: and to me it looks very similar to the streamer board that is being offered here, albeit at almost half the price Pro-Ject plan to charge for their version. Most likely it was was an early development sample, the chassis looks far smarter in the Pro-Ject look to me.

Anyone taking bets on Project releasing a DAC based on the MDAC2 board? I should add I have no concerns were that to be the case.

Anyone taking bets on Project releasing a DAC based on the MDAC2 board? I should add I have no concerns were that to be the case.
As far as I can see their top DAC is around 1K euros, which is less than the MDAC2 to us, so it may become their new flagship model if its marketed at double our price? I wonder if John can just get a batch of their chasses for us, let's hope so.

Anyone using Calex 5 rail PSU supplies their are large gains to be had in adding super regulators.
Taking the voltage ripple from 5Mv (Calex) to 0.8 microvolt using LT 3045 (+ve) and TPS7A3301 (-ve)

At least, if not more gains than adding the Calex themselves.:)

If these Calex are so good, why has John not designed a similar custom PSU (bit like the casing we saw earlier that had a supply for the Detox as well) ?

Probably because they don't just plug into the power socket - you need to wield a soldering iron, and re-arrange the on/off switch.

Misterdog - assuming they aren't drop-in replacements, did you just lash up something on perf-board or tag strip(s)?

did you just lash up something on perf-board

m3GNSnVrexd0IN2whth3CHFlZMHkI3ueTQugKDEXZkasUP8T6aXER5BmD2gFHj2fOV2rvjJMmBTJaUf9taZL1n7ilzaL1EoTYRQU3m8eJ2bJCd3PuPj_CcWbGpy5P-ldODNQiwauFK31JYjhZjB6EEYGwgY7bwpPpW22wSiZ9B1blacqTYMrZHeCeCigpXjoXAL0_QC1MaD6CkD-FHK5ARrwWu2fjbMQx30F6hbkSAQs3g42NWEakFsa4IwsG16y1BgiNk7MRkAhmCjuCR5_EqKx_X3jwgQB4uo7xGzF_o-Ru1UrILZDyL4ecEU6z7LnnInVCvCTyxwJ9bYN5jEa6lB-nWkvKMgH21JVBS2wqZAUahji7MWzHYrz1KL24E0SlcL3VOISQKd5kHk2iqM271HCBaeKYCUCD6Vh1ZeaiTJdGM23jyW292R9IARNuCsdxqYKYXSyPOg5Tnau19aUgrCyxKyvhEfc3x6FW63CnVRg_hZ44IAozJCYfZF8ANvPuNIa6HoDQxGaA_SqfHdbv2_Mbx1ghrW7q2d73nky-mEL0JvKyKHs1P7nj34jIeHTpl8VYjXvRz2_mLURYQF7yocKsapfcvdR4SBk00_FvAv4lc5o6AK2WhuVYh4QTXnm1b29o90FBgU8oqbULAi3yoCnaN61oLZc=w565-h424-no

:)

Almost as much processing power as Apollo XI.

Nice job, though.

Just how much have you spent on your MDAC, so far? :)

Plywood for the case, free from my offcuts bin.
3 x Calex PSU's around £36 IMS.
Special single cristal copper hook up wire, recycled from a PC.
1x 10 pin plug/socket £ 2.50.
5 x super regs £ 75

5 years of my life reading this thread at say £8/hour.

So only around £ 7K :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back