advertisement

Talking Heads do my head in

I'm not massive Talking Heads fan, but the early live stuff on that album is nervy and rocks, kinds like The Feelies. A whole album of that would be ace.

The double CD reissue of that has got a lot more early live material on it; and the entire Remain In Light tour set - thoroughly recommended.

incidentally - the Talking Heads 1980 'Live in Rome' concert on youtube is just about the best there is - it's no Jonathan Demme production but almost as great to watch ...

One of my favorite groups. I was just playing Speaking in Tongues on vinyl. The sonics on it are great.

Any one seen this amazing set piece in the Sorrentino film, This Must be the Place?

Went to see Talking Heads at Hammersmith Palais in 1980-something. We were offered good money in the queue for our 4 tickets, but declined and lived to regret it. The sound was just terrible.

The higher the expectation, the bigger the disappointment I guess.

TonyL David Byrne was a fan of Miles Davis's Agartha and no doubt an influence on that period. Impossible to my mind not to be bowled over by Houses In Motion, Crosseyed and Painless and The Great Curve from Remain In Light. There are few albums comparable to that masterpiece but I get it some people just can't abide Talking Heads. There is a New York show from the RIL period on Youtube. Excellent also. Don't forget Rockpalaast in Germany. Another great RIL performance. Intro for Crosseyed and Painless is just off the planet.

Lots of mistakes posted above one for instance relating to Tina reapplying. This was for 77 the first album. David had to teach Tina the bass.

David Byrne in interviews has explained Little Creatures was done to get them played on the radio. Would be my least favourite but Naked is very underrated.

Got to like David Byrne anybody who can keep such a diverse career going for 40 years and still be either playing/recording with St Vincent or playing David Bowies Fame with Kimbra at the RRHOF induction after Bowies death must have something going for him.

Seen him multiple times in Ireland and the Uk and he has never put on a poor show. Always changing and innovating.

Loved the first 4 albums at the time and Remain in Light still gets a regular hearing. I thought the big influence is Afrobeat and Fela in particular. Somewhat like The Clash’s forays into Reggae, it encouraged me to look beyond anglo-saxon men playing guitars.

I saw them live twice, Manchester in 1979 and Melbourne in 1984 on the Stop Making Sense tour, nearly their last ever gig. Both fabulous.

The Rome 1980 film recommended above gives a good sense of the earlier, slightly rawer, band at (IMO) their peak.

This has been posted on Youtube a few times but this is the most recent upload. Maybe Richgilb has changed his mind on THeads as the thread has progressed :)

advertisement

Back