advertisement

Record Store Day 2018

Went back to Square Wimborne today, they'd ordered in a copy of boy "acoustic sessions" for me, had got hold of the Folsom prison box by Johnny Cash for a friend of mine, but couldn't get "dead bees on a cake" by David Sylvian. Not too bothered as dead bees is being released on the normal black stuff some time later this year.

I'd say it's the best £35 I've spent on vinyl for a while.

Lost audiophile and myself were listening to Blackout last night and searching the sleeve notes for any info about who did this master, what kind of process was used etc.

According to this blog, Ray Staff mastered the album.

https://www.itwriting.com/blog/10583-david-bowie-welcome-to-the-blackout.html

That's all I know so far.

It was (and is) surprisingly good for a live album, and a great performance. Anyway, Elephantears convinced me I needed to get this so I swung by Sister Ray in Shoreditch and am currently on Side 4. Unfortunately Dead Bees... was sold out

Not too bothered as dead bees is being released on the normal black stuff some time later this year.

Hmmm.. Just received an e mail from Gondwana records saying the GoGo Penguin V2 expanded edition is out today - £24 as opposed to the £30 I paid on RSD and with free download / streaming via Bandcamp. In effect I coughed up another £6 for clear vinyl with no download - the general release is on black vinyl with download.

It not always that easy to see what re RSD only releases - which seems to apply to, say, the Resonance Grant Green vinyl - rather than RSD special editions which will soon be on general release at a lower price in a standard edition.

I am really liking the Gogo Penguin record and the pressing is good so not that bothered but may not have queued for two hours if I knew both that and the Sylvian record would be readily available and cheaper within a few weeks.

However, our local store still have Josephine Foster's Wolf in Sheeps Clothing available which is calling me - evidence that my willpower is not exactly strong.

Kevin

It not always that easy to see what re RSD only releases - which seems to apply to, say, the Resonance Grant Green vinyl - rather than RSD special editions which will soon be on general release at a lower price in a standard edition

Both the Grant Green items are being released on CD next month. That may be of interest to someone who failed to get the RSD release and runs a vinyl and CD system.

Hmmm.. Just received an e mail from Gondwana records saying the GoGo Penguin V2 expanded edition is out today - £24 as opposed to the £30 I paid on RSD and with free download / streaming via Bandcamp. In effect I coughed up another £6 for clear vinyl with no download - the general release is on black vinyl with download.

I’m certainly a bit peeved about there being no download, but I “only” paid £24.99 for my clear copy at Piccadilly Records.

Same £25 rather than £30. But given the price of new LP I do think they should all come with a download code.

The thing is though, you don't do R.S.D. find bargains! I spent far too much money in all honesty, but then again, I found a record shop that I hadn't visited before.

Have bought David Sylvian’s dead bees
Banquet was already out of stock £28
Resident brighton went out of stock while i was trying to buy £30
Bought from juno for ..... £37! Over £40 once p and p added.
But if you want it ... https://www.juno.co.uk/products/david-sylvian-dead-bees-on-a-cake/682956-01/
Couldnt find stock anywhere else .. at least for online sales.
Might be stock at sounds of the universe, but doesnt seem to be available from them online

Thanks!

Sister Ray Shoreditch had copies yesterday afternoon and I've been listening to it since then. Great live album, Bowie slightly less polished than on Stage but sounds like he's enjoying himself (last dates in the tour), band are fabulous, excellent flat and quiet pressing, good recording - not too compressed.

Two girls at my school saw these performances, I was a bit too young to travel up to London from Somerset. I bet they still talk about it.

Well I am rather pleased, I had not come across Go Go Penguine until reading this thread, I have V2 streaming on Prime as I type and I'm hooked, amazing stuff!!!

Nice when you learn something! Thanks pink fish!

advertisement

Back