advertisement

Avondale NCC300 amp project ..

Mark I'm sure you won't be disappointed
My amps are sounding very good now I've knocked the Bias current back to 70ma and seems cleaner with better bass response to me
I have to say I am impressed, I am hearing individual instruments more clearly defined, some awesome bass and drum lines coming through I didn't hear with my voyages which were very good in their own right.
More to come I'm sure as wee keep tweaking this amp:);)

Alan

Hi Alan, thanks for that, I’m really excited to try them actually. For some reason the Voyagers didn’t do it for me but I think this will be different and Les’ boards are always beautifully made.

(non DIY'er here)

Bugger - I was going to ask if Witch Hat were going to do a "ready made" amp based on this, but a quick visit to their web site showed that their excursion in making amps is over.

BugBear

(non DIY'er here)

Bugger - I was going to ask if Witch Hat were going to do a "ready made" amp based on this, but a quick visit to their web site showed that their excursion in making amps is over.

BugBear

I kinda thought that Les as going to offer these boards as an Avondale fit for NAP 135s?

I kinda thought that Les as going to offer these boards as an Avondale fit for NAP 135s?
Speaking as a non-NAP-135-owner, having to buy a (quite expensive) amp, only to throw a large part of it away seems ... the long way round the houses

BugBear

I have 4 NAP135s that I'm revitalizing with NCC300s. The first two rebuilds, reported here, were on junkers that I picked up as one-offs, so they were no-brainers.

When calculating whether to rebuild a 135 or purchase one to rebuild, take into account the unique and amazing NAP135 heat spreader and the excellent H+F transformer. Also, it all goes together into a very tidy finished product without a lot of effort.

Last edited:
Speaking as a non-NAP-135-owner, having to buy a (quite expensive) amp, only to throw a large part of it away seems ... the long way round the houses

BugBear

Les has targeted the older (ageing) NAP250s and 135s for renovation. The NAP250 can now be brought up to date with the installation of NCC220 amp boards and HCR200 PSUs...both of which have been very successful to say the least. The NCC300 is an extension of this and is a cleaver piece of design which can bring the NAP135 up to date and surpass the original 135 by a 'considerable margin' sonically. I don't think the NCC300 are aimed at someone having to buy a pair of 135s then upgrading...though thats one way to get to the end goal and worthy of consideration. The NCC300 is aimed squarely at existing 135 owners wishing to have the very best sonic upgrade within the existing iconic chassis/case.

(non DIY'er here)

BugBear

The obvious company to offer a ready made amp based on these boards is Avondale.... perhaps once demand has settled down for the boards from NAP135 owners?

Les has targeted the older (ageing) NAP250s and 135s for renovation. The NAP250 can now be brought up to date with the installation of NCC220 amp boards and HCR200 PSUs...both of which have been very successful to say the least. The NCC300 is an extension of this and is a cleaver piece of design which can bring the NAP135 up to date and surpass the original 135 by a 'considerable margin' sonically. I don't think the NCC300 are aimed at someone having to buy a pair of 135s then upgrading...though thats one way to get to the end goal and worthy of consideration. The NCC300 is aimed squarely at existing 135 owners wishing to have the very best sonic upgrade within the existing iconic chassis/case.
I don't have room in my rack for two monoblocks (or a MONSTER); perhaps an Avondale'd 250 might suit me better. Thank you.

EDIT; I note that the Avondale website still shows NCC200 V1.4, not the 220...

BugBear

I think Les still has stocks of NCC200s he wants to clear before he updates his website and there have been supply difficulties with the 220's for reasons documented in the "Qudos" thread.
I think it's only pfm followers who are so far aware of the newer version.

I have both an NCC220/HCR200'd NAP250 and two NCC300'd NAP135s. They are very close in SQ, but the NCC300 benefits from greater power. Both Avondale'd amps are remarkably clear and detailed. The NCC300 maintains its grip to higher decibels. :p Curiously, the NCC300s consume a lot less energy and run much cooler. I've been contemplating running the NCC220s unregulated off separate CAP6es.

Flash I agree you 135s realy look the part and the NCC 300s are made to measure for them
But there are loads of options for these modules and I think you could make up a nice stereo amp in one of the deep modushop 3U cases with and combination of NCC300, NCC200, NCC220, HCR20 regs or VBE or unregulated what ever float our boat and you will still have a remarkably good amplifier
In the picture below is my old Voyager in a 400mm depth case and and my Hackernap amplifier in a 300 case so if you can accommodate the extra depth case there are loads of space to put what you want in there.
In the Hackernap amp there are 2 x Cap6 stacked on top of each other for each amplifier

IMG_2232 by Alan Towell, on Flickr

Alan

Alan,

Those are sweet builds! I do have a Modushop 3Ux400mm case that's ready for a stereo NCC300 build like Graham's. It's just waiting on availability of more NCC300s!

What are your impressions of all these amp variations that you've built? I still remember listening to Carl's original HackerNaps in my system and being blown away by the depth of the image. It must've gone back 8m! But that was a different house and different speakers. I'm currently loving my NCC300 mono-block pair for their clarity and grip, although soundstage depth could be more impressive. It's probably more to do with the speakers and how the room's set up than the amps.

My point on rebuilding NAP135s was that a value proposition argument can be made for it ... depending on your values. ;)

Yes, how do these compare to the HackerNaps? At the time a lot of clever people put their thoughts into the ultimate way of doing this kind of circuit. I can see visually that Les' new amp has some similarities but has a completely new output stage? There hasn't actually been much In this thread about the circuit.

I loved my HackerNaps.

Stefan

Flash
I have just been using my Hackernap amp after 2 years in the loft and it sounded excellent, built as stock from the group buy components so Im sure it could be improved upon
It does loose out to both my Voyagers and NCC300 with depth of sound stage slam and just subtlties they make say wow, Im still tweeking this amp though.

I wrote this before in a previous thread where I had compared some of my amp builds and I still think its relevant, I would score the NCC-300 a 10 compared to the previous amp's

Firstly the Voyagers :):)
Wide 3D image, Deep bass with Vice like grip, great detail, very musical, I love them 9.5/10

Voy 5 by 337alant, on Flickr

NCC 200 Amp with single shared 375Va transformer and power supply to the amp boards with no VBE, Hackercap 6s

IMG_2218 by 337alant, on Flickr

Very similar sound to the voyagers only you loose some of the sound stage and subtleties, Bass was still very good but not as extended as the voyagers, Had great voice sound very vivid and again musical 8/10

Hackernap amp
IMG_2217 by 337alant, on Flickr

Shared 875Va torroid 4 x Hacker cap boards, soft start but not Vellemen speaker protection
Wow Id forgotten what a cracking amp this is Bass is clean and tight very good detail and imaging but not as wide as the voyager but treable is slightly better though :eek: again a very musical amp and very good in its own right 9/10

Wow, thanks Alan! I understand the amp obsession. Although everything matters, amps are responsible for a visceral/engaging component of a sound system.

My order, from recent experience is:
  1. NCC300
  2. NCC220/HCR200
  3. NCC200 Voyager
I haven't listened to the HackerNAP side by side with any of these, but I have fond memories of it. One could be happy with any of these excellent amps.

My future amp projects are:
  1. More NCC300s as they become available (to power 'briks). I'm interested in Les' separate FE PSU for the NAP135s as well as building a big stereo amp from scratch.
  2. Experimenting with NCC220s, unregulated as well as FE regulated.
Flash

advertisement

Back