advertisement

PROMS 2018- programme is out!

The BBC orchestras are very busy. Too much Mahler as usual. The Brandenburg Concertos interspersed with new works reflecting on them by major contemporary composers looks the most interesting one to me. Good to see Jess Gillam getting some big concerts - including the Last night, she was the runner up in BBC Young Musician last time round

Prom 12 sounds perfect for my kids' first prom. (Will probably go to Mahler 8 the night before)

The Brandenburg Concertos interspersed with new works reflecting on them by major contemporary composers looks the most interesting one to me.

Yes, if I were still in London then...

Mahler 3 with Boston would be worth attending.

The BBC orchestras are very busy. Too much Mahler as usual. The Brandenburg Concertos interspersed with new works reflecting on them by major contemporary composers looks the most interesting one to me. Good to see Jess Gillam getting some big concerts - including the Last night, she was the runner up in BBC Young Musician last time round
Mahler is the new Beethoven - the safe choice for concert organizers, and Shostakovich is the new Mahler.
Beethoven (at least his symphonies) seem to be less performed these days. Is Beethoven becoming the new Haydn?

Beethoven 2,4,5,7 & 9 are all being performed this year - doesn't seem to be a shortage of Beethoven!

First impression: underwhelmed... I'm going to be out of London in August and don't feel I'll be missing much. The late-night BBC radiophonic workshop concert perhaps, but that's something that will work almost as well at home as in the hall. The visiting orchestras on the 1st-3rd September should be good and the programmes are not completely formulaic: stand-out for me being BPO and Kirill Petrenko doing the Schmidt 4th, one of my absolute favourite 20th century symphonies and rather underappreciated in this country.

There's a few in here that caught my attention. I'm a fan of what John Wilson has been doing over the last few years with his own orchestra, West Side Story this year being top of the list, also hope to catch On the Town. A few others that appeal and I hope to get to and thanks for the recommendations above.

I'm just about close enought to "pop in" by train and so will be logging on first thing to secure prommers tickets on the day of the concert - worked well last year.

DMP

First impression: underwhelmed... I'm going to be out of London in August and don't feel I'll be missing much. The late-night BBC radiophonic workshop concert perhaps, but that's something that will work almost as well at home as in the hall. The visiting orchestras on the 1st-3rd September should be good and the programmes are not completely formulaic: stand-out for me being BPO and Kirill Petrenko doing the Schmidt 4th, one of my absolute favourite 20th century symphonies and rather underappreciated in this country.
Thanks for the tip- hadn’t heard of Schmidt but now downloading from Apple music to try

Been rather disappointed by the TV coverage so far. First night was decent enough (Holst etc, though some new work that was more about light projections than music, so a bit gimmicky). The Young Musicians Prom veered far too much to ‘light/show music’ despite some good bits and was a waste of real talent IMHO, and as for Jacob Collier? Why the hell was that even on? What has he (whoever he is) to do with classical music? I really hope things improve somewhat over future weeks!

I listened to some of the Collier in the car. Ear piss of the highest order. Enjoyed the very brisk Leningrad, Peleas and Melissande was wonderful. I’ve not heard the piece that makes me go wow yet. Langard’s Music of the Spheres or Havergeld Brian’s Gothic Symphony have all done that for me in previous years.

well I did a very quick look through and didnt see a single bit of early music - I mean medieval or renaissance. maybe some one with more attention noticed some thing. otherwise the proms is a miss, nil points. boring. I have heard enough Beet. or Mahler to last me a life time. should be banned

I know the guy who will be directing the BBC coverage of the Tango Prom in September. He has high hopes, thinks it should be good. He directed the Dizzy/Ella one last year, and I enjoyed that.

Prom 73: Before the Ending of the Day (Thu 6 Sep)

Written for Ash Wednesday and now one of the most famous choral works of all time, Allegri's setting of Psalm 51 ("Have mercy on me, O God") could barely be simpler, a series of ethereal block chords interspersed with plainchant. But from these ingredients Allegri, a 17th-century composer employed by Pope Urban VIII, spins a masterpiece, elemental and exquisite. When the soprano soloist takes flight for a top C, goosebumps are more or less guaranteed - and most likely tears, too. This late-night Prom also includes some other fine weepies: Ordo Virtutum by the 12th-century abbess-composer Hildegard of Bingen and Thomas Tallis's lustrous Te Lucis Ante Terminum (Before the Ending of the Light).

might be worth the effort

well I did a very quick look through and didnt see a single bit of early music - I mean medieval or renaissance. maybe some one with more attention noticed some thing. otherwise the proms is a miss, nil points. boring. I have heard enough Beet. or Mahler to last me a life time. should be banned

French baroque keyboard music today, Brandenburg's next month, Well Tempered Clavier next month too. Handel Theodora in September. Not much, but the RAH doesn't really lend itself to intimate pieces.

There's a radiophonic workshop Prom tonight at 10 that could be interesting.

Maybe I am a miserable old b****r but I seldom find anything in the Proms programme to excite me. Much of the content is standard fare of which I already have a recording. Perhaps I am too impatient when listening to pieces with which I am not familiar, but generally I think it is largely an excuse for the BBC to roll out their celebrity presenters. I will admit to usually enjoying the last night which has a star with personality who gets the show going.

Maybe I am a miserable old b****r but I seldom find anything in the Proms programme to excite me. Much of the content is standard fare of which I already have a recording. Perhaps I am too impatient when listening to pieces with which I am not familiar, but generally I think it is largely an excuse for the BBC to roll out their celebrity presenters. I will admit to usually enjoying the last night which has a star with personality who gets the show going.

I cant remember the last time I went to a concert. I tend to lose interest after 30 minutes or so close my eyes in contemplation and have a doze.

and as for Jacob Collier? Why the hell was that even on? What has he (whoever he is) to do with classical music?

I listened to some of the Collier in the car. Ear piss of the highest order.

He was even the subject of Radio 4's "Profile" this week and his prom was being trailed even after it had happened. What the hell's going on? I really think R3 and the Proms have lost the plot.

I did try to listen...I lasted about 5 minutes.

And he comes across as a twat.

I didn`t even start to listen, experience shows that any thing billed as "and friends" is likely to be self indulgent garbage.

advertisement

Back