advertisement

Best bit of Equipment you ended up buying Twice

Tannoy Cheviots x 2
Rogers Studio 1 x 2
Sugden A21a x 2
Leak Stereo 20 x 2
Quad 33/303 x 2

Out of that lot I only still have the Quads, but I could quite easily see myself owning any of the above again in the future.

The only thing I've liked enough to buy twice are a complete set of cables (power, interconnect/speaker). Possibly not what the OP had in mind...

Two times for this wire:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=390990401876

I terminate them with Nak bananas that are covered with that Butterball turkey net stuff (sort of like fishnet stockings), use color coordinated shrink wrap for the bit just outside the sleeve, and then clad the rest with thick braid in a copperhead snakeskin pattern. They sound just like 100 bucks per inch cable. Literally.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
3 MDACs and 3 x Croft series 7
I have now settled on a mdac into a series 7 :D

Interesting - I have the Croft 25 pre and 7 power - does MDAC directly into the Croft 7 amp work really well without the marvellous Croft pre? Or is your rig just a cost cutting exercise?

Interesting - I have the Croft 25 pre and 7 power - does MDAC directly into the Croft 7 amp work really well without the marvellous Croft pre? Or is your rig just a cost cutting exercise?

Not had the pleasure of trying it with the Croft pre yet. I have tried the Rega Brio ,Nait 5i ,Creek 50a and Arcam A19 all with the mdac pre enabled or disabled. I have also tried a Tisbury passive between the mdac and series 7. The mdac pre into series 7 is head and shoulders above all these. It's so natural and real.
Needless to say I will never sell the series 7 again and try a micro 25 when funds allow.

A couple of pairs of LFD Grainless interconnects. Bought one pair and bought another after. Suppose they do what they say on the tin.

Linn Pekin. I sold it via pfm when the DS allowed me to do internet radio.
Two years later I realised I never listened to radio 3 anymore, so found a Pekin in the pfm classifieds.
When it arrived, I had a sense of deja vu at the serial number, but couldn't be sure. Then I took off the case to find my name, the date of sale, and price paid on a small label inside! Delighted that I was up by £10 on the price I paid to get it back from the third owner since sale....
Sold it again when I found a Kremlin.

Quad 57s — 1979, 2003
Still have second pair; Quads Unlimited rebuild; factory production loudspeaker on steroids; flawed and magic!

Pioneer SX828 receiver — 1973, 2008
My first proper amplifier (receiver, actually) and wanted to experience / remember after 35 years in hobby. It was still very good sounding. Kept three months.

Nait 2 — it’s a long story ...
I’ve retained an unmolested stock unit and use regularly driving Spendor 3/5Rs ... wonderful synergy.

JR149s — x 3 1977, 2007, 2012. The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results ... speaker is a damn nuisance.

I would consider another pair of Spendor SP1s if ever I were to live again in an appropriate room.

I’d like to hear again: Son of Ampzilla.

WTS

the Epos M5i then had to have the M12i. 4 Sony JB940/980 minidisc decks and 3 sony portables ( same model) and 3 sharp ( same model )

JR149s — x 3 1977, 2007, 2012. The definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results ... speaker is a damn nuisance.

What annoyed you about them? Assuming you are not trying to fill a huge room or listen loud I can’t think of anything much not to like about them!

Quad ELS
Linn Isobariks
Yamaha C4
Luxkit Z501
Lp12
Goldring Lenco
Various Tannoy drivers
Various Urei drivers and crossovers
JBL 4410s

My three pairs of isobariks were 1981,1986 & 1991 vintage.

It's interesting to compare how different they sounded. When the isobariks originally went kustone I thought them too dry but the pair I have now are just right. And so very tight.

Sugden a21a, five times. Currently none.
LFD, six times. Currently own two and very happy.
Thorens TD160, before the prices went steep-ish.

advertisement

Back