advertisement

Fascinating USB ‘cleaner’ measurements

Purité Audio

Trade: Purite Audio
Amir over at ASR has been measuring various USB ‘cleaning’ products, Intona,Uptone Total etc, really fascinating results.
Keith

As he correctly points out, properly designed ones can be useful *if* there is no galvanic isolation on the DAC's USB input. If this part is well-sorted, then an extra box is only going to increase noise, even if slightly / inaudibly.

I've even heard of people daisy-chaining these units together, oh dear!

The Internet is full of praise for these USB filters. The imagination works wonders here, equating USB and computers with noise, and assuming anything that filters it must make things sound better. That predisposition makes one perceive improvement even if it is not there. Noise is easily measured as see above. So people should not assume a device is a true filter without seeing it actually measured as such. Based on this work, and confirmed by previous measurements I have performed, neither the Uptone Regen nor the TotalDAC D1 filter anything. Instead, they add their own noise components. Mind you, the addition while measureable, is not audible so no wonder no one is complaining about it. If you want to dismiss objective data on these products you can. But please go into any subjective review assuming that it could also do nothing versus "must be filtering." It is in this context that I smile when I see the performance of the Intona USB Isolator. Finally a USB filter that actually filters! So congratulations to Intona for building a proper product that reproduces the USB bus cleanly.

I had issues with a noisy laptop into an MDac years ago... Putting a (powered) USB hub between them totally solved the issue.

advertisement

Back